Trans Oil

Discussion in 'Oil' started by tbaker1212, Oct 15, 2010.

1. tbaker1212

tbaker1212 Member

I recently swapped out the oil in my tranny from Syn3 to Mobil 1 75W90 as recommended by so many folks I have found it beneficial to listen to on this site. Shifting is much smoother, though I am smelling the gear oil occasionally when stopped or when slowing to a stop but there are no visible leaks anywhere. Has anyone else encountered this? Thanks.
    Thom

2. rossn2

rossn2 Member

Yes, had switched from SYN3 to Amsoil 75-110w Gear oil in tranny (08 Road King) and experienced gear oil smell every once in a while, no leaks...Bike shifted smoother, no 5th gear whine, and tranny ran cooler too...

3. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

On the HD trannys, the open venting is where you get the SMELL. It is not UN-common for the tranny to spew a little oil vapor out that tube....

I have always said that a HD tranny will OFTEN after filling ,,,,, SEEK its Own level...

My 2000 dyna would do so. When the tranny oil was changed the bike would Always Spit out a little at the tube vent UNtil it found IT"S level to run at.

Never a problem but IF over full by an Once, IT would find it's way out..

I replace my tranny lube using the SMELLY stuff called ""Redline Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil"" and one drop spilled on the floor will smell the whole garage.

I just serviced my tranny and found NO metal on the magnetic plug...

Don't sell the Redline Short as it has QUIETED many a new bike down when Other gear-oils won't..

signed....BUBBIE

4. tbaker1212

tbaker1212 Member

Thanks for the quick replies. I had a feeling it was something like this.....riding a bit more at ease now.