free website stats program Trans oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Trans oil

Melroy

Account Removed
I had a full head of hair before I started searching this forum for info on trans oils. Data overload ! I would like to switch to Spectro in my 5 sp, but I read the GL-1 rating is inferior to what is needed in a bike trans. Will the 6sp GL-5 rated oil work in my 5 speed? Also, which weight? 75/90 or 75/140 ? Maybe I should just go with Mobile 1. I want to get away from HD F+ in the trans.

:bigsmiley22:

I used the Mobil 1 in the trans until I switched to Spectro and could see a difference using the Spectro for the better.

The GL1 is all that is needed in the 5 speed and the GL5 is for the six speed with the helical gears but the GL5 can be used in either 5 or 6 speeds without a problem.

I just went through this very same predicament last weekend and checked with the guys on here beforehand. Here was my final decision and diagnosis. I have a 2002 Heritage 5 speed. After talking with the guys at the dealer and of course the wizards on here (Thanks Glider and Smitty) the 6 speed GL-5 will work just fine and I believe Smitty even said it was bit of overkill but thats ok with me driving around the Washington DC area. It was the 75/140 and I couldnt be happier....rode about 300 miles after the change and I am very satisfied and happy....a bit on the pricey side but my scoot is my daily driver so its all worth it.

The Heavy Duty Spectro Platinum Full Synthetic Trans Oil GL 1 75/140 perfect for the 5 speed.

Use the HD Platinum 6-speed if you have a 6 speed.

After reading on here I switched to Spectro in my '96 Road King w/ 5 speed trans and had to use the Spectro 6 speed GL-5 75/140 oil because that's all I could find in a local shop. I have been very pleased so far. No problems as of yet.

No problems at all using the six speed oil in a five speed. It's just extra additive packages for the helical gears in the six speed otherwise it's about as good as it gets.

Back