Votes: 45 3.6%
  • Bel Ray

Votes: 56 4.5%
  • Lucas

Votes: 33 2.6%
  • OTHER (Please specify)

Votes: 223 17.8%

• Total voters
dont just talk about it prove me wrong show me you know what your talking about im always wanting to learn something new !
Do some research yourself and find out what you are talking about before posting on the net.

Check some of the oil tests and see if they even list Rev tech oil in their tests. Even you may learn something.

Last edited:
Do some research yourself and find out what you are talking about before posting on the net.

Check some of the oil tests and see if they even list Rev tech oil in their tests. Even you may learn something.

dude im not trying to argue with you but your post ask what i used and i told you i avg 10k a year on my bike i live in n-ca at coast so i ride at sea level the mountains or the high dessert i ride rain ,cold all weather and i ride very hard . i have had my eng ,tranny ,primary down several times always improving and trying new hi performance parts and tricks and i have had no problems or eccessive wear using this product as for me doing my research i have every hipo harley manual there is i get all the bike mags just for the tech info. i know many owners of bike shops that if i have a problem are always there to help me out plus between myself and my old lady have owned 6 harleys in 20 years thats hands on not going and letting some one else work on our scoots and dude i research every thing before i spend the money or install it on my or my ol ladies bike hell i joined your site in hopes of learning new stuff from your tech section thats why i joined ,not for the other stuff just a new avenue to pick up the knowledge to be the best i can be at working on my own machines now as for what i use in my machine its nothing but a personal preference just like what you run it doesnt matter how good a product is or how bad it also is some one is going to like it or hate it ,all that matters is it works for the person using it also i would have listened to your opinion on why you use the product you use, but you chose not to prove what makes your choice technically any more then just your opinion , oh well i will just keep my opinionons to my self

dude im not trying to argue with you but your post ask what i used and i told you i avg 10k a year on my bike i live in n-ca at coast so i ride at sea level the mountains or the high dessert i ride rain ,cold all weather and i ride very hard . i have had my eng ,tranny ,primary down several times always improving and trying new hi performance parts and tricks and i have had no problems or eccessive wear using this product as for me doing my research i have every hipo harley manual there is i get all the bike mags just for the tech info. i know many owners of bike shops that if i have a problem are always there to help me out plus between myself and my old lady have owned 6 harleys in 20 years thats hands on not going and letting some one else work on our scoots and dude i research every thing before i spend the money or install it on my or my ol ladies bike hell i joined your site in hopes of learning new stuff from your tech section thats why i joined ,not for the other stuff just a new avenue to pick up the knowledge to be the best i can be at working on my own machines now as for what i use in my machine its nothing but a personal preference just like what you run it doesnt matter how good a product is or how bad it also is some one is going to like it or hate it ,all that matters is it works for the person using it also i would have listened to your opinion on why you use the product you use, but you chose not to prove what makes your choice technically any more then just your opinion , oh well i will just keep my opinionons to my self
you say that you---

avg. 10k miles yearly--6 harleys--20 years-- eng.,tranny.,primary down several times --- and you put Rev-tech in all 3 holes?

you say that you---

avg. 10k miles yearly--6 harleys--20 years-- eng.,tranny.,primary down several times --- and you put Rev-tech in all 3 holes?

hay R Lewis yes everthing is true .my 1st hd was a 47 ,45 chopper that was a wild ride .my 2nd a 76 super glide our dog was killed & it was stolen from our back yard .3rd was a77 super glide we put a lot of money in this one and showed it for awhile ,but it was aways a every day rider , then at the same time we got my ol lady a 80/80 lowrider .i then ended up with my first evo my 94 springer and last my ol lady has a 97 ,1200 custom sportsteer . as for other bikes i have owned and built several bsa ,notons ,triumphs (to any ol riders from the mid west i was the guy that bought scuz from fortwayne Ind out of all his british parts and basket cases )now as far as takin down my springer im always doing something new to my eng i did a slight build its punched 10 over weisco pistons ,manly stainless steel valves, sever duty springs jims roller rockers, crane roller rocker shafts ,my heads ported & polished,, compcam adj push rods , my cam is a 3020 vthunder ,a t&p oil pump , a dyna 2000i ignition without the voes , a42mm mukini carb , james gaskets, vance & hines long shot pipes un capped, i know every one going to say you need back pressure but lee the head carb tech at mukuni told me i,could run the straigth pipes with the muk if i put bolts in the exhaust. plus many other mods to my bike . but that what i do to all of our bikes .yes un popular but i ran rev tech in all 3 holes .as for my miles i dont own a car my ol lady does i prefer to ride, plus its at least 80 miles to any good sized towns so i put on 10k a year i wear out tires and brake shoes every year i hope this answers your questions any other quetions on my bikes my area feel free .most everthing i wrote can be verified by gary osborne bike shop in fort wayne indiana just ask about (easy)thats me
later roaddawg4life

this is a Ford - Chevy Debate :tounge to each his own Ride ON.Welcome aboard Roaddawg I'm new to this site as well. and the folks here are very knowledgeable and helpful. i use Amsoil and a lot of folks think its snake oil the reason i use it is i use to Drive trucks for a living and many large fleets use Amsoil and Rotella-T(Dino) most of these trucks have 16 gallons of oil in them so to change oil even every 10000 miles adds up all the big fleet trucks run bypass filters and have there oil analyzed every 10000 or so miles by a lab such as Blackstone and they will tell you how much additive is left in the oil and how much life is left among other things they can detect antifreeze-bearing material- silicon-iron all kinds of things anyway like i said go to any large truck garage and i bet you see a drum of Rotella-T(SHELL)or Amsoil and it is not because it is cheep it is because it has a very good additive package in it i must also say i do not sell Amsoil or Rotella-T or know anybody who does. i also run Rotella-T syn in my F350 Diesel pickup. my last truck a F350 7.3 liter powerstroke diesel had almost 400.000 on it before i sold it . the motor still ran fine but the rest of the truck was coming apart .i ran Rotella-t Dino oil in the 7.3 but anyway that is why i use Amsoil. but i to have to say i don't like the way they market it but it works for me just my 12cents

Last edited:
In the 5 speed, this is the one.

Spectro75_140GL1.jpg
Hey Glider, I didn't take the poll, since, as of 3 weeks ago, I didn't care.......my bike had @4000 miles last year, I got it from a dealer with 1900 on it, and I'm now up to 6500. I have no idea what is in there anywhere now, (I do hope that I have engine oil in the engine though) so I told the hubby I wanted to take it in and have everything changed to what you recommend. I figure that will be the true test, if the girl can tell a difference.... But seriously, I would guess that the guys last summer went ahead and gave it the 5k service, they're pretty good about taking care of me, but just to be sure, that's my plan. Oh yeah, that got me 'the look' like "you want to do what?" Not that he wouldn't expect that out of me and all, but I think I caught him off gaurd.....;)

Joy

As long as they don't push the syn 3 in your bike you are doing good.

The GLI will do a fine job in your trans as will the GL5 also but that has more additives in it for the helical gears found in the 6 speeds. It's just not needed as much in the 5 speeds.

A good choice would be

Mobil 1 V Twin in the engine
HD Formula + in the primary
Spectro GL1 or GL5 platinum in the trans.

I've tried a lot of different oils and this is the combination I finally settled on as far as what I feel works best in all areas.
You may have to pick up the oils above ahead of time because not every dealer stocks them.

Next step is to do the oils yourself. It really isn't hard at all. If you can bake a cake you can do the oils yourself with just a few tools. You would be very surprised at just how easy it is and you know what would be in there then for sure.

Here's the engine drain from the top and bottom.

STDrain-Plug-1.jpg

STDrain-Plug-2.jpg

The trans oil you drain between the shocks with a 5/8" socket and extension and the primary is right below the clutch derby cover at the bottom of the cover.

Primarydrainplug.jpg

THEN, when you get good at it you can try this too.:59:

Complete Oil Change (softail) - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited:
Hey, hey, baby steps for me.....ha, ha. Last week I didn't even know there were 3 holes to put oil in....LOL. (different types of oil that is) I used to wrench my own mountain bike, but that was a few less moving parts. I will definitely do some reading first. I can see the addition to his workshop getting bigger...his & hers workshops, I like it.

Not to sound redundant here but you should try the Spectro platinum :s

Bet you wouldn't go back to Amsoil again :D

I changed the trans oil to amsoil SVT in my 2008 ultra and I absolutely think the bike shifts harder now than it did with the harley oil. Not the smoothness I expected. It seemed to work well in my 1990 but not the new bike. I am thinking I will try the GL5 . Oh and I am curious, does the GL 5 have that nasty gear oil smell that the amsoil has? I noticed when I dumped out the oil that was in trans from harley, it smelled like plain old motor oil.

Last edited:
The GL5 does have a smell to it, maybe not quite as bad as the gear oil that we are use to but none the less it does work VERY well in my 6 speed, more so than the Mobil 1 gear oil I did use at first.

Once in the trans, the smell becomes secondary in any event.

Back