Trans Lube Question

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by KFranz, Apr 27, 2010.

1. KFranz

KFranz New Member

I have noticed that when I change my transmission oil that it ISN'T dirty. I swear that it looks as good as the day I put it in. I have been using F+1 in this bike (02 Road King) since I got it three years ago. I change all my lubes every year. I'm planning to switch to the Specto GL-1 as soon as I get it, because of what I have read in this forum. My question is do I have to change the trans lube every year or can I extend my change intervals. I only ride approx. 2000-2500 miles per year (I know it's not much). Your thoughts please.

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

With that low mileage, it really isn't necessary but it's only a quart of lube so why not do it anyway, I do.

3. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Plus it gives you a chance to inspect the magnetic drain plug.,, giving you a heads up to a potential upcoming problem (chipped tooth, worn shift dogs).

4. kemo

kemo R.I.P

I have to agree that it is not really needed but it is only $15 bucks and gives you a chance to spend time with your machine when you maybe can't ride
    kemo

5. nvsteve

nvsteve Member

HD now recommends 20K on tranny oil change. I still do it every year.

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

And they say 50K on a fork oil change. They must want more fork rebuilding.:D

If you ever changed the fork oil after just 5-10K you'll know what I mean.

7. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

HD probably doesn't Like HDTALKING because you HEAR the TRUTH HERE!

good recommendations on this site!

signed....BUBBIE

8. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Thats how the Stealers make ther money, after things break and warranty is up

9. glider

glider Veteran Member

Ain't that the truth!!!:D ........BUT, they all do that. :lolrolling

10. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Thats why I will find my info here and take advantage of ESP, its better to pick the brains of you all and learn from the shared experiences and hopefully make the other sites take a look at this great forum JMO