free website stats program Trans fluid leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Trans fluid leak

mbrown

I have a 1991 Softail and have noticed a tranmission fluid leak after I start the bike up. The fluid appears to be coming from an overflow hose that comes out the back side of the chrome top cover right on top of the transmission. I changed the fluid a while back and added 1 quart as recommended. Fluid continues to leak after the bike is shut off but not as bad. Any thoughts?

I have a 1991 Softail and have noticed a tranmission fluid leak after I start the bike up. The fluid appears to be coming from an overflow hose that comes out the back side of the chrome top cover right on top of the transmission. I changed the fluid a while back and added 1 quart as recommended. Fluid continues to leak after the bike is shut off but not as bad. Any thoughts?

If its coming out the top hose the breather hose then the trans if overfull

Where does it read on the Dipstick?

Does your vent tubing run up over the back of the tranny behind the starter and to just above the ground on the right side of the bike? If not, consider running a hose long enough to do that. And make sure it runs "up-hill" for the first bit of the hose.

I think you may have too much oil in the tranny. Next time you change it, measure how much you drain out, and then put that much back (unless that is more than the book calls for - in fact, if it is exactly what the book calls for, put back about 2 oz. less and then make up based on the stick measurement). I have found that it is best to drain the tranny with the bike as close to level as possible.

TQ

I agree with it being overfilled. Check the book what it calls for and possibly drain/measure and refill it to be sure. Some don't use a full quart.

Back