free website stats program Trans fluid confusion | Harley Davidson Forums

Trans fluid confusion

alto

I did try searching in the forums but remain confused.
I just changed all fluids in my 01 Ultra.
Manual said to check Trans level with the bike Level..a post on the search, said to check on Jiffy Stand.
I used Spectro. put in what I thought was 22oz. ( also drained old fluid with the bike level).
Then, not sure whether I check with the dipstick screwed back in or just resting on the threads ( unscrewed).
Here's my reading with the dipstick screwed back in and, the bike just back from a 20 miles run ( warm to hot).....With the bike level, dipstick screwed in, then out to check, the fluid is about 1/4 inch Above the full mark.
Should I drain out a few ounces....or , if the method is 'level bike/ dipstick Not screwed all the way in , then out to check, it is right at the Full mark and I'm ok? Thank you for any info.

Trans. dipstick should be resting on the threads, not screwed in, to check level. Also, different years have different methods (level or on jiffy stand). My '07 trans. is checked on jiffy stand per service manual.

I Have found this to be true...

The trany WILL seek it own level IF over full by a little..

I have added a little Over the full mark before and the Trany will Rid the extra Not Needed THRU the Vent Hose (not all all at once but over a few rides) ,,, It will spew a little at a time while running under normal conditions... That is why the vent hose is there , to move Heated air and Excess oil OUT...

I try Not to put in "too much" when I change, but don't worry about an ounce or two as it has this ability to correct it's self. That was on the older bikes of yesteryear...

The newer bikes of today take a Quart (32 oz.) I don't doubt the older models can use a little more than HD said back then IMO.

Unless you put in a PINT too much:D you should be okay.

signed....BUBBIE

I used Spectro. put in what I thought was 22oz. ( also drained old fluid with the bike level).

I have an '03 UC. I think our bike trannies are the same - checked up-right, with dip stick on the threads, but not screwed in.

I also add 22 oz. of Spectro tranny gear lube when I change it. The book says 20-24 oz., so 22 oz. is just right!! Trust it.

TQ

I feel better about it all..Thanks to all. Perhaps I missed it , but the manual doesn't say whether the dipstick rests on the threads or must be screwed in, then out to check. Now I know. I'm learning with the help and knowledge of others.

I feel better about it all..Thanks to all. Perhaps I missed it , but the manual doesn't say whether the dipstick rests on the threads or must be screwed in, then out to check. Now I know. I'm learning with the help and knowledge of others.

Quite Often on a new bike, I will change fluids, Using the Proper Amount to FILL it,,,,, THEN look at the dip-stick or area I need to see for the FULL position.. Makes sense to me. That way I need only to look at MY remembrance of what I did see IF I CAN REmember what I saw...:wall:newsmile105:

When using the proper lube and in the correct amounts, you'll get Longevity of Life from your bike...:guitar

signed....BUBBIE

Back