free website stats program Trans and primary oil change intervals | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Trans and primary oil change intervals

That is fairly close to the owner manual on mileage for the changes. Before the 09, I had an 04 that I changed all holes at 5k. I put 31k miles on it in 18 months with no problems. If I changed every 1 to 2 k miles, I wouldn't get any riding done. :)

Brand new bike & your going to wait until 3000 miles for the very first oil change.? Big mistake in my opinion. This is the most crucial time for a new engine. Parts, gears, bearings, rings, are all seating along with washing out any assembly lube or debris. Think about it.

Sure, once all is broken in, you can then do it at 3000 intervals.
I even went the extra step of opening the factory oil filter after the first 1K service just to see if all was well inside. If something is wrong inside your engine, that's where you will see it and you may head off a serious problem.
But like I said. Just my opinion.

Hoop!

Maybe I didn't explain that right. I actually changed the engine and tranny at 150 miles, I wanted to get factory oil out and change the tranny over to Spectro full synthetic. Then I changed all 3 at 1000 miles. I will change all three again at 3000 miles and every 3000 after that. I have mobil 1 full synthetic in the motor, Spectro full synthetic for 6 speed in the tranny and HD f+ in the primary. Sorry for the confusion.

Transmission 10,000 miles or annually if ridden less; Primary 5000 miles. Motor oil change every 3000 miles. Having read the Oil recommendations on this forum, and switched to synthetic in the crankcase and tranny. The first change since going synthetic will be at half these intervals, particularly the crankcase as not all the old oil drains out.

I"m not a wrench head by no means. This forum has sure helped. But the way I look at it is, my 1586cc engine is pulling 85 torque and and 75hp after a stage one. I can blow passed almost any cage and I have only 2 cylinders. I would think this engine is working alot harder, as far as wear and tear, than the 8 cylinder cage. That's my reason for changes every 2000 miles on the bike and 5000 on the cage.

I'm new to this, haven't rode my first hd long enough to have changed any oil yet,, but is HD f+ synthetic, and do any of you know what the amsoil equivalent would be. I'm kinda partial to this oil after seein how my old bike shifted noticably smoother and even ran cooler with it. Maybe it's something I should avoid??

Back