free website stats program Trans and primary oil change intervals | Harley Davidson Forums

Trans and primary oil change intervals

I know its over kill but every 2000 miles I change all three holes. Mobil 1, Spectro, and Formula one.

I only have 1500 on it right now but I am going with all 3 at 3000 miles.

Brand new bike & your going to wait until 3000 miles for the very first oil change.? Big mistake in my opinion. This is the most crucial time for a new engine. Parts, gears, bearings, rings, are all seating along with washing out any assembly lube or debris. Think about it.

Sure, once all is broken in, you can then do it at 3000 intervals.
I even went the extra step of opening the factory oil filter after the first 1K service just to see if all was well inside. If something is wrong inside your engine, that's where you will see it and you may head off a serious problem.
But like I said. Just my opinion.

Hoop!

Last edited:
5000 on the motor, 10k on the primary and 15k on the tranny. I ride this bike a lot (retired) and most of the miles I put on her in a year (20k) are road miles.

5000 on the motor, 10k on the primary and 15k on the tranny. I ride this bike a lot (retired) and most of the miles I put on her in a year (20k) are road miles.

Wow, those are some really extended numbers. Your experience must tell you it's fine. When applied to automobiles, when I was young I would change my oil every thousand miles. The older I got, the further the oil change number would go. Now I am at 5,000 mile oil changes in the cars.

But the HD is different. All three @ 2,000 miles. I can't explain or tell you why.

Hoop!

But the HD is different. All three @ 2,000 miles. I can't explain or tell you why.

Hoop![/QUOTE],
Acorrding to the service manual, Engine-5,000
Primary-10,000
Trans.-20,000

Back