free website stats program tranny | Harley Davidson Forums

tranny

tdj45

changing the fluid in the trans. this weekend on my 06 flht. what weight oil is recommended and how much.

I have the 1000 mile scheduled next week and I will be carrying in Mobile 1 for the crank and primary and Spectro for the 6 speed trans. I did a search for a dealer and it the local Honda store. Go figure.

Good stuff on the links. Thanks Guys

Better off with a NON synthetic in the primary.

I read on the quart of Mobile 1 that it's recommend for wet clutches that's what me think it was OK and used it in the Heritage for the last 6000 miles that I had it. I realize it isn't long on the longevity test but it performed well.What do ya think?

I read on the quart of Mobile 1 that it's recommend for wet clutches that's what me think it was OK and used it in the Heritage for the last 6000 miles that I had it. I realize it isn't long on the longevity test but it performed well.What do ya think?

The problem with the synthetics in the primary is when you get some miles on the clutch plates and the grip is diminishing because of the miles, the slickness of the synthetic oils could cause them to slip prematurely or an oil marked energy conserving would do the same.

Use of an oil like the Formula + or specific primary oils would be the best bet for use in the primary.

The key here is reading the label on what ever lube you use. It should be safe for wet clutches and NOT have friction modifiers (additives to improve slippery-ness...not a good thing if your clutch lives in it over the long term. MOCO was kind enough to give separate holes for 3 different lubes (2 on the Sportster and related family members).

Best to use that slippery 100% Synthetic 20W-50 motor oil (not HD Syn 3 which is not 100% and Hugo Chavez/Citgo oil) for use in the isolated engine crankcase, because it needs all the low friction, high temperature benefits and viscosity range to deliver best cold weather and lubricating performance possible.

The tranny if separate from engine and primary/clutch would benefit from highest quality gear oil made for high pressure hypoid gears. One that is very specialized and ones made for 5 or 6 speeds.

Finally the primary chain which slings oil all over and really needs a good lube that will not foam, and with the oil wetted clutch, does not need friction modifiers to start it slipping in the long term.

So choose your lubes wisely...follow the polls and good sense from those who are in the know...let me repeat...read the label and fill to the proper level. :D

Back