free website stats program Tranny clunk | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tranny clunk

trvlr,

Not Hoop, but I would guess that there is still a "load" on the transmission when the transmission is in gear AND the clutch is disengaged. I would think it's not enough to move the bike, but it's there. I would guess this load disappears when the transmission is in neutral, making it easier on the starter.

Thanks dcfatboy - that makes sense.

Hoople - what's happening mechanically with the clutch lever pulled in that puts add'l load on the starter?

I've always pulled the clutch in when starting my bike(s)....neutral or in gear. Just out of habit for safety reasons.

If it neutral,, It really makes little difference. If in gear, your asking the starter to break the contact seal the friction discs have with the steel plates. If your in gear, the output shaft of the trans is directly coupled to the rear wheel which is stationary.

This only applies to wet clutches. Leaving it in neutral allows "decoupling" between the primary and rear wheel to take place via neutral instead of the clutch pack.

If it neutral,, It really makes little difference. If in gear, your asking the starter to break the contact seal the friction discs have with the steel plates. If your in gear, the output shaft of the trans is directly coupled to the rear wheel which is stationary.

This only applies to wet clutches. Leaving it in neutral allows "decoupling" between the primary and rear wheel to take place via neutral instead of the clutch pack.

Hoop, we need to find you an older dry clutch @ Biketoberfest so you can hear the clunk it will make your bones rattle LOL:p

Thanks Hoop - so as long as the tranny is in neutral, no problems if you still disengage clutch. I've always started my bikes with the clutch pulled in as gives me a clean reference point on startup so nothing "unexpected" happens.

But wasn't aware of starting with the bike in gear. Interesting.

Jack, I have never owned a muti-disc dry clutch but I am sure they have drag while being disengaged also. When I think about how much distance the diapham pushrod throws and then divide that number by 9 (nine friction discs & plates) how much distance do we really end up with that is between EACH friction disc and steel plate. Not too much at all. We also know for a fact we would not be able to see light between the friction disc and steel plate while the pack was disengaged. Now throw some cold oil on them and that kinda concludes to me how much drag we really are dealing with.

In a cage with 1 dry friction disc and having a good .200" of separation between the pressure plate and flywheel, complete decoupling is a guarantee.

Your right,, I have listened to those dry clutches while disengaged and it is unbelievable the noise they make. The first time I heard one I shook my head with amazement.

This year I am going to have lots more questions for the vendors.:p

Back