free website stats program Tran fluid | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tran fluid

I thought that HD does not recommend the use of GL-5 rated gear oils for the trans., such as the mobil, valvoline, castrol, etc....hypoid oils you guys are using. I heard that because HD trans. primary fluid and the syn 3 stuff is rated to only a GL-1 which is supposed to lubricate the bearings in the tranny somewhat better, and therfore extend life. Now don't get me wrong, not promoting here but, just hearing different opinions that GL-5 rated fluids will not protect the bearings as well.

I thought that HD does not recommend the use of GL-5 rated gear oils for the trans., such as the mobil, valvoline, castrol, etc....hypoid oils you guys are using. I heard that because HD trans. primary fluid and the syn 3 stuff is rated to only a GL-1 which is supposed to lubricate the bearings in the tranny somewhat better, and therfore extend life. Now don't get me wrong, not promoting here but, just hearing different opinions that GL-5 rated fluids will not protect the bearings as well.

Well I hope some one with more knowledge then me will chime in, because I put the spectro 6 speed witch is GL-5 in my transmission on recommendation from this site and it seems fine.

Well I hope some one with more knowledge then me will chime in, because I put the spectro 6 speed witch is GL-5 in my transmission on recommendation from this site and it seems fine.

Think maybe we need Tank our in house Amzoil man to chime in with the info and facts on gear oils JMO:s

My dealer recommended Spectro 6 speed oil because of all the complaints on the noisy 5 gear.

IMO, H D wants a lighter lube like motor oil to go through the gears , that said alot of bearings and shifter forks have suffered, I will stick with gear oil:s

go up in the left hand corner search gl-5...this has been hashed over before and read away ...i am sticking with spectro ...:bigsmiley12:

I have been using Spectro 6 speed trans fluid for 20,000 miles and would not use anything else...
Results are amazing..:s

Never understood why riders put same fluids in all three holes...?? Spectro 6-speed's good stuff & I'll be changing mine with it "again" soon. Enjoy the quieter/smoother tranny.

I have been using Spectro 6 speed trans fluid for 20,000 miles and would not use anything else...
Results are amazing..:s

Never understood why riders put same fluids in all three holes...?? Spectro 6-speed's good stuff & I'll be changing mine with it "again" soon. Enjoy the quieter/smoother tranny.
Refresh my memory here. I bought some Spectro 6 Speed for my "03 Ultra which is a 5 speed. That won't hurt anything will it? I can't imagine that it would. I thought I read somewhere where the 6 speed Spectro was designed specifically for the helical cut gears of the 6 speed which the 5 speed doesn't have but it certainly won't hurt anything. Am I wrong? Thanx!

Back