free website stats program Trailering tips | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Trailering tips

Wheel chock in front, 4 straps on front (soft ties, 2 pulling forward keeping it pulled tight in the chock and 2 pulling sideways and down compressing the forks 2 or 3 inches) I only use the frame crossbar just under the neck on my Heritage, it's where the top of your engine guard bolts to if you have one. I never use any other part of the front end. On the rear, I usually strap onto the passenger pegs and pull slightly to the rear. All your trying to do for the rear is hold it straight, the bike will ride in the chock just fine. Ditto on checking after a few miles and at every stop. I've used trailers designed for bikes and generic flatbed trailers and screwed in 2x4's to chock the tires. I never had a problem. Carry an extra strap or two just incase. Also, when your done strapping, make sure your straps are well away from any part of the bike so they wont rub anything and get quality ratchet straps. Wally World has some. And one more thing, put the ratchet end of the strap on the trailer hook side not high up on the bike side, it seems common sense but you would be surprised....just saying. Secure the extra loose ends good or they'll flap all over or drag and fray. The back end will move around slightly, no worries, at every stop I retighten the rear straps if needed.

Last edited:
I just trailered my bike for the first time this weekend. I just had my bike tip over in the trailer for the first time too. I did a poor job of strapping it, and now the trailer I borrowed has a nice nipple dent in the side of it.

I wish you had asked this question last week. I figured it out eventually, but if you follow these guys advice, you won't suffer the same fate as me. Didn't hurt my bike, but now my buddy wants me to by a left handle grip and mirror to glue to the side of his trailer to hide the nipple dent. (and to create the illusion that there's a bike tipped over and poking out through the side). fair enough

Back