free website stats program Trailer | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Trailer

My opinion but over kill is cheaper then repairing your bike and trailer after it flips.
kemo

I'm using a Single Axle Single Bike Enclosed Trailer for my 2009 FXDC and all I can say is its a bit stiff on the bumps.....However, I am running Mobile Home 15 inch Tires on it. It has a leaf springs axle......Torsion bar would be better I'm sure if you have the option. I use the Trailer to get away from the Cold Snowy LONG winters in Stanley Idaho......Works for me but I do watch for Frost heaves and big bumps in the roads. Minus 25 here this morning....

GARY

You want tall tires, the short/ small ones turn a lot faster, hard on bearings. One axle you can only get 2 flats and less toll money on toll highways.

Arrived in Datoyna last week from Connecticut pulling a 6x12 leaf spring equiped "Cargo Mate" trailer with just my '08 FXDC and some tools in it.Absolutley no problems handling even through the snow and the ice storm in N.C. Everything inside was exactly as I had placed it. If there is a problem with leaf springs (used since the early manufacture of the auto) I didn't have any.
BTW.. single axle and I had the tires balanced before I left although some say it isn't necessary.

Thanks for all of the info, really appreciate it.
Steve07, i've only driven by it so i don't know all of the specs yet, but it's a Haulmark, looks to be around 6x12, and they're asking 2200. will stop and get the facts tomorrow.

I've had a Car Mate for over 7 yrs. 6X12 Torflex axels pulls beautifully and has a one piece aluminum roof. (no seams to caulk) Twin axels will not only cost you more initially but if you run toll roads you'll pay extra toll for that extra axel. I perfer the 6' wide trailer as its much easier to get around on country roads in the mountains. I also use a Baxley wheel chock. A little pricy, but absolutely the very best available. Easy on & easy off and holds the bike firmly.

Single axle for a basic two bike trailer, typically 7x10, is just fine. Move up to 7x14 or 7x16 and I would prefer a tandem axle.

I have a 6x10 single axel enlosed trailer with fold down ramp & it is Ideal for my bike , I pull it behind my 30ft 5th wheel with no problems , the bike rides fine in the trailer . I pull to Arizona & Nevada all the time I live in Michigan so I pull 4000 miles plus a year . Buy a trailer that fits your needs & your budget you will save money & get a trailer that will do what you want . You may not need a enclosed trailer if you only use the trailer once in a while also you may use the trailer to haul other items besides the MC so get a trailer that will fit all you needs .

I have a 6x10 single axel enlosed trailer with fold down ramp & it is Ideal for my bike , I pull it behind my 30ft 5th wheel with no problems , the bike rides fine in the trailer . I pull to Arizona & Nevada all the time I live in Michigan so I pull 4000 miles plus a year . Buy a trailer that fits your needs & your budget you will save money & get a trailer that will do what you want . You may not need a enclosed trailer if you only use the trailer once in a while also you may use the trailer to haul other items besides the MC so get a trailer that will fit all you needs .

You pull a trailer, behind a trailer??? I've seen the big rigs do that? How the heck do you back it up, or handle it in city traffic? Can you even see the bike trailer behind the 5th wheel?

I pull this behind my 5th wheel. It has a double hitch connection so that it stays in-line with the 5th wheel (will not jack knife when backing up). The rear wheels swivel so it can make turns. Only potential issue is that it swings wide when making tight turns.

IMG_1495.JPG

Back