free website stats program Trailer | Harley Davidson Forums

Trailer

gratefulEd

Saw a nice used enclosed trailer for sale, but its a single axle and I've heard two are better- is a single axle trailer good for trailering a bike? thanks.

I would say absolutely. I had a single axle trailer (Torsion bar not leaf spring) and you did not even know the bike was back there. Wish I never sold it. Don't know if it makes a difference but mine was not enclosed.... but it was built very strong and was heavy duty.

Steve07 is going to be the man to talk to, he is our trailer expert and a trailer dealer.
kemo

2 dont bounce near as much as a single but steve will tell ya everything

Don't know alot about trailers but I was told the bouncing is largely part of having leaf springs. That torsion bar trailer I had did not bounce at all.

Saw a nice used enclosed trailer for sale, but its a single axle and I've heard two are better- is a single axle trailer good for trailering a bike? thanks.

My single axle works just fine. Two are better, but not necessary by any means.
It has more to do with gvw than anything, I'd think. If you have a trailer designed for heavy loads and use it with light loads, it's going to bounce more as it's not in it's suspensions load range. My trailer is rated at 1500 lbs and with my bike and related 'stuff' on it it's right at 1000 lbs. It rides great for an inexpensive trailer. I only need it once or twice a year so didn't want to put a lot of money into something that was going to sit in the garage all year.

IMG_0037.jpg

I used to pull a little trailer behind my GoldWing, I would remove one leaf spring and the thing pulled like a dream.
kemo

While a tandem typically is less bouncy and typically tracks better, they are usually under a larger frame and therefore heavier trailer. A correctly sized single axle trailer will handle our scoots just fine. Like others have said, torsion axles are a must. And a single axle is also much easier to move around when not on the tow vehicle.

Most good trailers will work. I have a Haulmark enclosed cargo, 7 X 14 that will carry four bikes. Torsion Bar. It's just a matter of preference. Main things to consider is how you load. A big drop down ramp is best. That way you can get your feet out for support when loading and backing it out. They sell a lot of narrow drive up ramps, but they're tuff to use, slow down and you dump it, backing out just isn't safe. At that height and with all that weight, if it decides to go over, it gets ugly. Also use front wheel chokes for each bike. Keeps the front end from sliding around. Install "D" rings for the ratchet tie downs, two in front and back. It might sound like overkill, but there's nothing worse then having a bike fall over and not no it for 100 miles.

Also use front wheel chokes for each bike. Keeps the front end from sliding around. Install "D" rings for the ratchet tie downs, two in front and back. It might sound like overkill, but there's nothing worse then having a bike fall over and not no it for 100 miles.

Great Advice. I don't think you can "OverKill" when it comes to being safe.

Back