free website stats program Trailer swivel adapter…Do I need one??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Trailer swivel adapter…Do I need one???

nt6977

First time towing a trailer with the bike. Don’t have it yet but it’s on its way. For those of you that pull trailers behind you bikes do you have a trailer swivel adapter that goes on the tongue of you trailer? Let me hear the pros and cons of having or not having one. Thanks.

Pictures by nt6977 - Photobucket

I have pulled my trailer for the past 4 years with just a standard hitch, (no swivel) and have had no problems. I have heard of trailers with a swivel hitting a big bump at speed fliping over and causing the bike to go down.

A standard ball mount is fine they will let you lean to aprox. a 45 degree angle before any binding at all and I don't foresee anyone doing that hauling a trailer (except maybe Hobbit):D

I've towed trailers behind my bike (both cargo and camper) since 1990. All I've ever used is a standard coupler and I've had absolutely no problems at all.

Thanks guys. I got my hitch in today so it's out in the garage in the morning to put it on. Talked to the company that's building my trailer and they have started it. Sent my side cover so they could match my paint. I'm stoked about getting it cause I'm leaving the last week of March for California and not coming home until the last week of May or the first week of June.

I almost ordered that, but decided to wait until some of th others came out with their model. I agree, I don't want the ball permanant, but I felt like the MC was still a little too visable since one of the reasons I bought the SG was the clean looks of the rear end.

I'm thinking about the MCHitch, color matched to the bike. American Legend does it. A little pricier, but money isn't everything :shock

I have a bushtech trailer with a swivel hitch and I have not had any issues with the swivel hitch.
Now I am saying this hoping it never happens to anyone. With a swivel you will have only one thing to set back up incase you drop it. HOPE THAT NEVER HAPPENS.
I have never heard of the trailer bouncing and flipping as you are going down the road by using a swivel hitch. You would have to be traveling at good clip to do that. I am not saying it could not happen.
My father-in-law hit a big rock laying in the road at about 70, dodging it with his bike and the trailer hit it, the trailer bounces and did not flip,drove another 100 miles and found that his rim was tore up. Bushtech sent him another rim assy. the next day. They have run flat tires on them.
I have had my trailer with the swivel for 3 years and no problems.
One key thing is to load your trailer evenly and check your tongue weight with a fish scale. I hope I have helped you some.

Just looked at the new pics. looks good. When I am passing through can I check out your house? It looks interesting as heck!

Back