free website stats program Trailer ride for a new Ultra Limited | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Trailer ride for a new Ultra Limited

I used a wheel chock and tied to the engine guards, about 45 degrees and down to the front of the trailer. On the rear bag guards I tied them off to the hooks on the wheel chock and pulled the bike into the chock. It never moved an inch. I have a trailer with a torsion axle that doesn't bounce much. I used 4 ties total, 2 on each side. I did not compress the front end more than an inch or so.

I did not put the bike in transport mode but put the key in the tour pack.

I have been looking at trailers lately and I can't believe what you can spend on a good one. I am in sticker shock.

I have the self locking wheel chocks. Not alot of good choices on the Ultras for strap placement. Don't like to use handlebars or crash bars. I slide the front straps down between the fender and the lower forks down to the fender mount and snug it up nice and tight. Never any movement and the front suspension is totally free. Rear go around passenger floorboard mounts just to keep rear end from going side to side.:)

I used a wheel chock and tied to the engine guards, about 45 degrees and down to the front of the trailer. On the rear bag guards I tied them off to the hooks on the wheel chock and pulled the bike into the chock. It never moved an inch. I have a trailer with a torsion axle that doesn't bounce much. I used 4 ties total, 2 on each side. I did not compress the front end more than an inch or so.

I did not put the bike in transport mode but put the key in the tour pack.

I do the same, I also have the Bike Pro locking wheel chock and the bike didn't move an inch after 3000 miles. I also leave my FOB in the saddlebag with no problems, it's an enclosed trailer.

If you don't put the alarm in transport mode and just leave the fob on the bike, you will run your bike battery down as the security system continualy gets alerted by movement, checks for a fob, gets a signal, and goes back to sleep. Only to be awakened again in about 2 sec when the trailer hits another expansion joint, over and over and over again. Dead battery results.

Scrounger, don't use those "pull 'em tight" tie downs. Use the kind that ratchet, along with the soft ties. Your local stealership has them. I tie my Ultra down with the front and rear crash bars. Anchor the front towards the rear and the rear towards the front, criscrossing them. It isn't a bad idea to tie down the rear wheel, too. Anchor these 90 degrees to the wheel with ratchet straps and soft tie downs, and she ain't going nowhere.

If you trailer your bike someone told me the security system has to be programmed for "trailer mode." Otherwise the security light will flash off and on the entire trip and kill your battery. Has anyone else heard or done this?

In your owner's manual there is a small punchout card called, "Harley-Davidson Smart Security System and Owner's Record." It is meant to be carried in your billfold, and has a place for you to record your PIN for the security system, how to operate it manually if your FOB dies, and the procedure to put it in and out of "Transport Mode."

This is the procedure for setting your alarm to Transport Mode when trailering a bike with the newer key fob system.

To Arm the System

* Turn IGN key to ON and set OFF/RUN switch to OFF

* Turn IGN key to ACC

* Press both turn switches. Turn signals will flash once.

* Turn IGN to OFF. The system responds with 3 turn signal flashes.

To Disarm the System

* With fob present, turn IGN to ON.

* Set OFF/RUN switch to RUN to exit transport mode.

Not to hijack this thread, but what about a Road Glide. How do you tie down that front end? Do you go up between the fairing and the forks? I have soft ties, but not sure about the best place to connect.

Same way, use the crash bars if you have them:s

Back