free website stats program Trailer Hitch Reciever or Not ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Trailer Hitch Reciever or Not ?

tubguy

Hello to all, purchased a trailer for this summers events. In the process of putting it together. Im making it large enough to be able to haul the golf clubs. And my wifes stuff!!!

Question is for all you trailer guys, do you prefer the trailer hitch to have the reciever or prefer to have the permanent ball?( Any preference on Hitch brand). What wiring kit did you use, my trailer has the 4 wire plug I'm looking for the plug and play type.

And what are everyones thoughts on swivel hitches and brands?

Tubguy

I don't pull a trailer, and I don't know if the one I saw is practicle or not. The one I saw had one wheel and a double reciever on the bike. It actually leaned with the bike.Single Wheel Tralers of Today

You don't need a swivel hitch.A touring bike will never lie down in a corner enough to need one.
A reciever style hitch looks good on a bike when you are not towing a trailer,but they add an extra clunk and clank at every stop and go when you are towing one.
You say you want plug and play for the wiring,but if you use a powered converter,like the Ford windstar uses you will have to splice into the wiring,but it will create much less draw on your electrical curcuits.
Hope this answers your questions.

Thanks Steve and Don,
Steve what brand of a powered converter do you suggest? Im not very confident on the wiring part of it, also I never would of thought of the clunking with the reciever hitch. Any brand of hitch youd suggest and any suggestions on Canadian dealers.. The trailer I bought from Princess Auto.

Tubguy

I use Reese products for my wiring.I will send you links tomorrow for the hitch and wiring.

I have a swivel hitch on my little trailer and wouldn't be without it. If your ball and trailer start to bind, it gives that extra room for movement. I've never had any noticable clunking or clank with mine. As long as it's adjusted correctly, there shouldn't be any.

The link is to the plug 'n play connector I use. My trailer is equiped with LED lights so power draw is negligible.

HD Quick Connect Wiring Harness

I have the Kuryakyn trailer hitch. Can't say I'm overly impressed with it's look or installation.

================================================

There's a guy that makes hitches for bikes in B.C.'s interior. I was told of him when visiting the Lees-ure Lite Trailer manufacturer in Oosoyoos a few years ago. If I'd had a couple more days to waste I could have gotten him to make a hitch for me for cheap. Because my bike was the new frame in '09, he hadn't had a chance to get a bike to work with.

Otherwise, the same link also has trailer hitches. Those were my first choice but since Gaslight H-D gave me a great break on the cost of an extended warranty, I choose to order a hitch from him.

My choice for a hitch is one that can be removed quickly and easily for tire removal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Oldhippie, i actually called Lees-ure lite today and they have the hitch that matches my year. The good thing about them is the location close to home for me..

Thanks Again
Tubguy

i have the kuryaken hitch, came with a plug n play adapter for the wiring. only thing to watch is i have to pull a hitch brace to remove my rear axle. Not really impressed with that, but it looks/works good otherwise. all the mount can stay on, when not using the hitch i pull 4 bolts and the hoop with the hitch on it just hangs on the wall.

Back