free website stats program Trailer hitch for '84 FXRT? | Harley Davidson Forums

Trailer hitch for '84 FXRT?

granpita

I want to expand my touring/camping on my '84 FXRT with the use of a trailer. I finally found someone to provide a hitch for an '85 FXRT but they don't know if it will work on an '84. They'll take it back if it doesn't work but I'll be on the hook for roughly $100 in freight and customs fees, etc. (round trip to Canada) if I have to return it.

My '84 is box-stock original, complete with the enclosed chain etc., while the '85 had moved on to a belt. Can anyone think of a reason why an '85 hitch won't fit on an '84? I can't, but I'm not quite willing to bet $100 on it just yet, at least I hear what you all have to say. Thank you.

My "Harley Davidson Data Book" which has been very reliable in the past, lists the belt drive as the only "big" change between the '84 and '85 Sport Glides.
The '84 parts list I found, doesn't have part #'s but the '85 parts list shows rear fender and fender strut as a -84, and saddle bag support bracket at end of fender as -83. That tells me that the same parts were used on '84's. But if I'm wrong, I ain't gonna kick in on the shipping you'll be out. :D
Post a pic when you can. I LOVE FXRT's.

This pretty much confirms my thinking. Guess I'm just gonna pay my nickel and take my chance. Thanks for your input.

For those that really don't care about this ongoing saga, (and the few that may), let it be known that a trailer hitch that will supposedly fit an '85 FXRT will not fit an '84 FXRT. The horizontal draw bar dimension appears to be at least 2"-3" shorter on the '85 than it needs to be on the '84. I don't know why. I'm making the appropriate mods to the hitch I received rather than return it, so it'll be OK but I still have to wonder . . .

Thank you Breeze, for your input.

Back