free website stats program Trailer Advice | Harley Davidson Forums

Trailer Advice

dolce

Not sure I am posting this in the right sub group but hope so. I don't like the idea of trailering my bike (2011 FXDC) but after the recent ride (~4000 miles) to Sturgis I can see some logic in it. What advice can you good folks give me on the subject? I want jsut a lite weight open trailer to begin with. Is there any advantage to wood floor over mesh? Thinking of just a simple utility trailer form Lowes or Tractor Supply. THanks--- Mike

Enter "trailer" in the search box at the top R. of page. It will give you lots of opinions. My #1 requirement for a trailer is car size tires so the wheel bearings are not going 200+ mph on the Interstate.

It comes down to what can you afford and able to carry weight safely. A utility trailer would be fine but you made need to beef up floor where bike sits. It needs to be able to support the 700-900 pounds of bike in only 2 places....
What are you towing trailer with if this is the route you go??????

You know the saying : "Someday you will own a bagger" and that would definitely correct the distance of a ride.:s

What are you towing trailer with if this is the route you go??????

You know the saying : "Someday you will own a bagger" and that would definitely correct the distance of a ride.:s

tow vehicle is a Toyota FJ Cruiser. Adequate for my Dyna.

Thanks for the info..

After two 5400 mile roundtrip Sturgis trips I can sympathize with you. Have you considered letting a freight company take the bike there and either flying or driving to meet it in Rapid City? Think round trip cost is around $750 or so. Easier than dealing with a trailor and the extra gas. Thinking about going this route but probably will ride it again next year ; )

After two 5400 mile roundtrip Sturgis trips I can sympathize with you. Have you considered letting a freight company take the bike there and either flying or driving to meet it in Rapid City? Think round trip cost is around $750 or so. Easier than dealing with a trailor and the extra gas. Thinking about going this route but probably will ride it again next year ; )

Merlynn; I probably will ride it again but not on my Dyna. I'm thinking of going to Softail Heritage Classic... time will tell...

dolce

I have a 5 x 8 open utility trailer that works well for trailering my softail. I optedfor a wood bed mostly because it can be replaced fairly cheaply, which I did this season, used 8 2x12's and just cut them to size, only a few hours work. I also mounted a front wheel chock and 4 tied down eyelets, stainless steel, drilled through the bed and backed up with stainless washers.
The capacity of trailer is listed at 1500lb with 200lb tongue weight. 15 in tires, mesh gate for loading/unloading.

The one drawback is it's open which can leave the bike open to airborn projectiles, rocks, whatever, been lucky so far.

Good luck with your chioce!

I want just a lite weight open trailer to begin with. Is there any advantage to wood floor over mesh? Thinking of just a simple utility trailer form Lowes or Tractor Supply.

I used too think to trailer a bike anywhere was ridiculous, until I tried it. It's definitely the way to go.

I would suggest that you look for a used enclosed trailer vs. purchasing a new open trailer. It's better all around, you don't have to worry about road grime or debris, the bike is more secure, store gear and such in it...

Either way, get a set of Bearing Buddys for it...

I bought a used 2 bike Kendon trailer this summer. Put a couple of coats of Rustoleum Safety red paint, new lights, new tires, and Bearing Buddy's and have under $1000 invested. The trailer stands upright in the garage and out of the way.

I only use the trailer once or twice a year and didn't want one that took up space in the driveway, that's why the Kendon.

IMG_0013-1.jpg

I have a 4X8 open trailer with a wooden floor and a ramp. I hauled my bike from New Jersey to Colorado Springs and back this summer. I had a blowout at speed on the trailer and I wondered what would happen but it was no big deal. I have a Sears hydraulic jack and I am glad I brought it and I mounted the spare tire and made it to the nearest Walmart to get a new spare for $42. I didn't want to get stranded by the side of the road all night. I used Public Storage to store my car and trailer for a month which cost me $20. I would use two cargo straps on each side of the front in case one comes loose. I would do it again. Route 70 between New Jersey and Colorado isn't all that interesting once you have done it. Best of luck - Bob

Back