free website stats program Tragedy strikes | Harley Davidson Forums

Tragedy strikes

tadiorio

Hello all, I am new to the forum.
I am in the Central TX area.
I have a 2003 FLHTCI w/ 58K miles.
Has been running great since I purchased in 09 w/ 38K miles. I am 2nd owner.

Seems like tragedy struck yesterday.

I am up to DIY diagnosis and repair but need a shop manual.
Local dealer does not have one in stock.

Has anyone used and/or would anyone recommend, or not, using
an online website
to get PDF of manuals for $9.95?

Brief description:

Recently a strange 'hollow clunking' noise developed. It happens while down shifting through 2nd and 1st or when I roll off the throttle (same gears).

Yesterday while riding things got serious. I was making a turn in 2nd and it sounded like a combo of slipping clutch and grinding gears. If I rolled the throttle it would slip. I could shift up/dn.

I cannot tell if it is just clutch or tranny or combo of both.

Fortunately I was able to limp home.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by a moderator:
I removed the reference to a specific website so as not to provide them with free advertising here. Anyone that's real curious can simply use Google anyways.

IMHO, I like an actual, authentic, HD manual that I can put my grimy hands on, make notes in the margins, etc. If you can't find one at a nearby dealer then Ebay and Amazon usually have them.

When's the last time you adjusted your clutch and changed your transmission fluid? What fluid are you using? Any other mods or recent maintenance done to the bike?

Thanks Doc. I understand the free advert aspect.
I found a manual here on the forum so my search is over.

Although I never noticed a difference in the throw in the clutch over time, perhaps it needs adjusting. I'll do that today.

As far as fluid goes, AMSOIL throughout. Specifically 75W-110 Synthetic Extreme Pressure Lubricant in the transmission. It is rated at GL-5

Thanks Doc. I understand the free advert aspect.
I found a manual here on the forum so my search is over.

Although I never noticed a difference in the throw in the clutch over time, perhaps it needs adjusting. I'll do that today.

As far as fluid goes, AMSOIL throughout. Specifically 75W-110 Synthetic Extreme Pressure Lubricant in the transmission. It is rated at GL-5

You also might want to start a thread in a different section of the forum that relates specifically to your problem. As I'm sure you've noticed, this is the New Member section and many of the posts are just welcoming you and not talking about your issue.

Back