free website stats program Traffic Light Behavior Question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Traffic Light Behavior Question

I never pull along side someone at a red light or want anyone pulling along side of me, It is for Safety reasons first, you never know what can happen and do not know their level of skills for Riding. I always try to stay in a staggered formation with another Rider, that is a Rule of the Road, and to give them Space. I had a Guy pull along side me one time at a Red Light on the Shoulder of the Road to make conversation and to tell me how nice My Bike was, I acknowledged him, but it was not Safe or Cool!

It's not necessarily about being Cool; for some it's just a personal space issue...a kind of privacy issue. Kinda like what happens in an elevator. Rarely do people acknowledge each other.

Of course, if it's an attractive young lady, I ALWAYS give a broad smile and a warm hello!:D (Even in an elevator!)

The way I see it, is if you get a bike, you sort of join a family, you own something that draws much interest from others. If you put a lot work into your bike and make it a show piece, there are going to be those people that notice it and some are going to want to talk and ask you about your bike or the parts or what year or make and so on, it is a conversation piece. Now should you roll up to a guy at a stop light, no!! not really, but is it really a big deal if you do, or someone else does it too you?? You really have got to be ready for anything out on the road.

Last edited:
I agree with BigLew, Smitty, Hobbit. Not knowing someone's experience, etc. I am not going to normally pull up beside them. I have pushed this a bit at Daytona or other large rallies. If the traffic is really heavy and backed up, I will push up just to shorten long lines.

For me it depends where in the lane they have stopped, if to the left I will pull beside and welcome the same. If your stopped at an intersection iregardless of experience let them pull off first, what can happen? are they suddenly going to slide to the side and cream you and your ride? Always let them go first and if something unexpected happens you will be able to avoid it.

I always see how they ride with me behind them before the stop light...Usually look in there mirrors to see how they react to me...I generally just try to read ppl, bc Ive always been pretty good at it....But in our town here, ppl tend to like all other bikes, so its a friendly place for us....it may be different if Im in another town tho.

Your welcome to pull up beside me and chat at the lights. Remember the old Honda saying,''You meet the nicest people on a -----''. Didn't want to say that word.

It's okay to say it: You meet the nicest people on a HARLEY...:D

I say that because over the weekend, when I was stopped the side of the road, no less than three bikes stopped in the course of 15 minutes Suzuki dual-sport rider, a BMW adventure rider, AND KTM enduro rider all stopped...:p

Sadly, about six HD riders at different times did not :( But that is okay, it does not change the fact I will stop for a fellow rider, whatever make he rides, because I know how tough it is, especially a long way from home.

BTW, met some guys who had already rode 1,100 miles from Washington state all the way down to SoCal on Highway 101 on their way to Hollywood to see the "crazy folks" there (hated to tell 'em that we all were a little nuts to be riding dawn to dusk for better than 12 hours) was clearly not exactly sane anyway...:rofl

As for stopping along side another stopped rider, I generally look in his rear view, if he sees me or nods his head I will pull along side and talk. BUT if lane splitting...DO NOT BLAST PAST A FELLOW RIDER...I can tell you early in my riding career it was the most unnerving and inconsiderate thing a BIKER can do. Still happens on occasion, and still feel the same way today. :small3d002:

At a stop if I position myself to the extreme left or right feel free to pull up aside me. If I am in the middle of the lane do not. I dont pull even with other riders I dont know.
When riding do not ever pull up right beside me. I had some guy basically chase me down and pull up beside me even though by positioning on the road and speed I made it clear I did not want to ride side by side. The guy was trying to talk to me at 40mph while riding just over the midline with oncomming traffic. I had to pull off the road cause he was ridiculous.
I will ride staggered with anyone I dont care. I feel it makes "us" a bigger threat to cars and therefore they are more likely to drive with caution, ie: not pull out in front etc.
I always acknowledge all other riders. Even those on mopeds.

Back