free website stats program Traffic Light Behavior Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Traffic Light Behavior Question

Hello everyone had a new urban rider adventure yesterday and wanted the your opinion. As I approached a traffic light on a 2 lane street I noticed a fellow rider already at the light waiting for it to change. I really wanted to pull up along side, (it could be done safely of course) to nod, chat, etc... But I didn't because I'm not sure that its ok among riders to do that. If the tables were turned I would have welcomed another rider to nod, chat etc... What do you think? Thanks in advance.

Your welcome to pull up beside me and chat at the lights. Remember the old Honda saying,''You meet the nicest people on a -----''. Didn't want to say that word.

Today with so many new riders on the road I tend to give other bikes room.
You just never know what thier comfort level is.
I for one would say back unless some type eye contact a sured ne it was ok.
I have at times in heavy traffic had other bikes as you say join up with me I just invite the to a staggered riding postion and go

I agree with the comfort level thinking. Some riders might not be ready to ride along. I've thought twice about it plenty of times. Just the other day I wanted to pull along side an 883 and get a better look, but it just didn't feel right.

Today with so many new riders on the road I tend to give other bikes room.
You just never know what thier comfort level is.
I for one would say back unless some type eye contact a sured ne it was ok.
I have at times in heavy traffic had other bikes as you say join up with me I just invite the to a staggered riding postion and go
What a great point! can you tell im a new rider too?:p

I too agree that with all of the folks on motorcycles today, you just don't know who you are pulling up next to, or what their level of skills are. I follow the same pattern when at my gun club. If I know you, or are familiar with your shooting skills, I don't mind standing next to you. Otherwise, I give a wide berth...

I thought that we were talking about waiting at the stop lights and someone pulls up beside you. I don't know where you guys picked up that someone starts tagging with you. If someone strange tries riding beside me I will detour from that route.

I don't pull up beside someone at a stop. But the other week I saw a rider at a stop light, He was setting at the far left of the lane so I came to a stop at the far right in a staggered position. He saw me in his mirror and motioned me beside him. So I did. We had a nice quick conversation about each others bikes and weather and when the light turned I let him go first and we traveled staggered for about a half mile and went our seperate ways. So it all depends I guess..................

I remember last fall me and my Uncle went on a ride and we were at a stop light on a two lane highway and we were turning right on a no turn on red. Two bikes pulled up next to us and the guys just looked straight ahead and never looked over and gave a nod or nothing, they were basically "too cool for school". I remember my uncle was ticked off about it, he said something later on that night that he could not believe how rude they were, because I think he waved at them and got nothing back or more or less he just wanted a little chat with em. I think they had some vintage bikes that were pretty sharp.

I know down in this area people stick to themselves, people do not like to associate with strangers, it is very strange, but people are just not friendly around here. If someone pulled up next too me at a light, I would surly welcome and shoot the chat, but I know it will never happen and I don't think I would ever do it, just because I know the reaction I might get..

I don't mind anyone coming up at a stop, I acknowledge their presence and have had some good chats, most will stay just a little behind, not directly next to to you. I've also had the times when I've come up behind someone and get totally ignored, like I'm trespassing.

When riding I fall left or right behind in a staggered formation, same thing, some acknowledge you and some ignore you.

I'm starting to learn that if they look like they're going the extra mile to be 'cool' I've started staying away.

It's not necessarily about being Cool; for some it's just a personal space issue...a kind of privacy issue. Kinda like what happens in an elevator. Rarely do people acknowledge each other.

Of course, if it's an attractive young lady, I ALWAYS give a broad smile and a warm hello!:D (Even in an elevator!)

Back