free website stats program Trading my softail for a bagger. | Harley Davidson Forums

Trading my softail for a bagger.

SpringerSteve98

So, i'm tossing around the idea of trading my 98 fxsts (softail springer) for a 1990 electra. I'm kind of hesitant, because the electra has 52k miles, and its missing the tourpack? (the sissy bar trunk thing)... Just wanting some feedback on the old evo electras, and high mileage. He claims its never been touched aside from putting new exhaust on it... Frankly i'm wanting a bagger because my wife is narcoleptic, and i would feel safer with her on the back of something with some sort of armrest.

From what I have seen, your 98 springer is worth quite a bit more then a 90 electra glide. It surprises me how much the springers and heritage models go for in comparison to the electras. At 50,000 miles, it could go for another 50, or it might be ready for a rebuild in the near future, depends on how it was treated. You can run a compression test to see how healthy it is. See what kind of maintenance records the guy has etc. Plus, if your are getting this for the tourpak with arm rests for your wife, and the bike does not have it, that can be an expensive thing to get. Then you still have to paint it to match as it is rare to find one that is what you need, when you need it.
If you really want an electra, you would probably be better off to sell your springer out right and then look to buy one that is ready to go.

To each his own they say, but I would not ever get rid of the springer! If it were me I would turn the spring into a solo ride and buy an TC Ultra to roll around with the wife

To each his own they say, but I would not ever get rid of the springer! If it were me I would turn the spring into a solo ride and buy an TC Ultra to roll around with the wife

What he said. If I were in a better financial position, I would make you an offer on the springer. Have always wanted one, and will either get one or build one in the near future. They are getting fewer and farther between, at least the style that I like.

So, i'm tossing around the idea of trading my 98 fxsts (softail springer) for a 1990 electra. I'm kind of hesitant, because the electra has 52k miles, and its missing the tourpack? (the sissy bar trunk thing)... Just wanting some feedback on the old evo electras, and high mileage. He claims its never been touched aside from putting new exhaust on it... Frankly i'm wanting a bagger because my wife is narcoleptic, and i would feel safer with her on the back of something with some sort of armrest.

i have a 98 softail and would not trade it for a bagger. i did however keep looking for deals on a bagger and they are out there. i would keep looking you will find one JMO

52K miles on a Evo is not a lot. But if you are not putting some green in your pocket on the deal, I'd say wait. As others have said, you can get a decent price for your springer. There's nothing wrong with the '90 evo baggers, but there were a LOT of improvements through the years.

OK, So the guy with the 90 electra didn't want to chip in near what the kbb difference would have been... But i found a guy with a 99 ultra, 38k miles... Any good/bad reports about that model or year?... It has the 1450 in it i think, and one of the early years for it.

Springer Steve, I think the way you wrote your post you have answered your own question. With the pieces that are missing and I would bet that bike is not pristine and may have some neglect, to have a safer ride for your Misses this probably is not the right bike for you guys. I would only give up on the Springer is moving up to the perfect ride. Not trying to accomplish something that is just going to be alot of money and headaches because it seems like a good deal.....

Back