free website stats program TQ's Engine Build | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

TQ's Engine Build

Just a big thanks to you guys for posting all this great info here. Bought my 1st Harley, a 1999 FLHTCUI with 28k on it this past spring. I now have over 32k on it. A few weeks ago, I thought I heard an unfamiliar sound comming from the cam area. After taking to 2 different HD shops in the area, both told me of the tensioner problems. Needless to say, I jumped right here and found all the info needed. Upon removing the cover, the outer tensioner shoe looked barely worn, but upon looking in the mirror at the secondary I think I found the root of the problem. Very wore and down to metal. I am going to do all the wrenching myself, and with all the tips found here feel I will accomplish this with no problems. Going to install adjustable pushrods to save some teardown. Still trying to decide on what to replace tensioners with as I plan on taking my time and turn this into a winter project.

Again, a big thanks to all

Still trying to decide on what to replace tensioners with as I plan on taking my time and turn this into a winter project.

Mike,

Regardless of whether you pick the roller chain conversion or the gear drive, give John Wadsworth (Herko) a call and get competitive pricing from him. Make sure you get the complete Bill of Materials for either option so you can compare Apples to Apples!!

TQ

TQ,
how many miles did your bike have on it before the build?

thanks

From my spreadsheet:

72,620 - Roller chain conversion, Andrews Products N21 cams, adjustable pushrods, Torrington inner bearings, Dobeck Performance TFI-1040ST (3/10/09).
72,690 - Oils & filter change - 1 qt. Amsoil SAE 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (MCV), 3 qts. Mobil 1 Vtwin 20W50, HD 63798-99A filter (3/16/09).

I had replaced the outer tensioner within the first six months of owning the bike (43,448 miles when I bought it) - somewhere < 48,000 miles. Wasn't as good at keeping records then!!
TQ

thanks a lot!! I gues I have a few more miles to catch up to you. 22,000 today!

Marcus

Well, don't leave it to chance. There is NO predicting when the tensioner shoes will nuke. I suggest opening up the nose cone (cam cover) at the earliest convenience to see what condition they are in. If you have between 1/16th" - 1/8th" of wear (book says .080"-.090"!), replace the tensioner(s) or do the roller chain conversion or gear drive up-grade. If allowed to go all the way to failure, the consequences can be traumatic.

TQ

marcus listen to TQ, he is giving you good advice. You will have to do something in the cam chest some time better to do it at your chose of time
kemo

thanks for the info. Is there an inspection cover that I can take off instead of the whole cover?

marcus

thanks for the info. Is there an inspection cover that I can take off instead of the whole cover?

marcus

As KEMO said above, no inspection cover per se, but the whole cover is just that. Unlike the EVOs, the cam cover for the TCs is just a cover. No bearing surface in it. So you can pop it loose and take a peek pretty easily. If you cut down an Allen wrench, you can probably get in behind the pipe enough to get the cover loose without taking the pipe off. However, if you then decide to do one of the upgrades, you will likely want the pipe out of the way (which means the floor board too!!).

TQ

Back