free website stats program TPS Sensor | Harley Davidson Forums

TPS Sensor

Roadmax1

Hi all,
I installed an V&H Longshot exhaust, Arlen Ness Big Sucker and Power Commander III on my 2005 EG EFI. Since I also put on some apes and had to replace the stock throttle cables I simply disconnect the TPS cables from the old throttle cable and wrapped them around the cable trunk and left them there. My question now is:

Does it matter that the TPS cables are disconnected since the stock ECM is circumvented by the Power Commander anyways, or do they have to be terminated with something like an eliminator?

I do not know if a signal is required and believe it would only be relevant if I had cruise control.

Am I off base with my assumptions?

Any clarification is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Roadmax1

WAY off base.

The TPS gives the ECM all the input that it needs to run the bike. The PC III is downstream of the ECM and get's it's info directly from the ECM so if the TPS is disconnected, there's no info going to the ECM as far as throttle position.

You are talking about the TPS=throttle position sensor on the throttle body???

Well it might be that I am calling them by the wrong name. They came off the old throttle/idle cable. Both were connected to it and I looked up the wiring diagram in the manual and the way I looked at it both cables terminate in the ECM. They are called Switch Connectors and they connect to the Roll Off Switch which is located on the Idle cable. The funny thing is this. Is says that only if you're equiped with a cruise control you have to disconnect those two when doing whatever. However, I do not have cruise control, but recall that they were connected to the idle cable when I changed everything out. Does that mean all stock bikes come with those switch connectors from the factory, even though you may not have a cruise control?
Thanks guys

I think I got it figured out now after doing some more searching. Actually what I am talking about are the two cables that connect to the throttle roll-off switch. From what I can gather they are used for the cruise control, which I do not have on my bike. Also, a lot of problems seem to come from these cables on bikes with cruise and most folks simply disconnect them. Ergo I think I can just leave them as they are, unless there's something else I don't know about.

Last edited by a moderator:
The roll off switch can be left disconnected on a bike without cruise. In the future if you have to replace that cable, you can go with on that does not have that switch.

Back