Towing with a HD Trike

Discussion in 'South East' started by Yoder, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Yoder

Yoder New Member

Does anyone know how much HD trike can tow & what kind of hitch would you recamend IM looking at bunkhouse camper weight 340 or leesurlite camper weight 225 or coleman livin lite weight 500

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

I found this on Bushtec trailer hitches. I can not seem to find spec in owners manual. It seems Harley does not even offer a HD O.E. hitch in P&A catalog.

TOWING CAPACITY - 350 LBS. MAXIMUM GVWR
    TONGUE WEIGHT CAPACITY - 70 LBS. MAXIMUM

3. Jennmarr

Jennmarr Junior Member

Pretty sure that HD specifically disallows towing. I don't think you are going to find anything like an official towing capacity for your bike.

4. 03HD883R

03HD883R Active Member

I would say it would be okay with the weight, as long as you don't have a crazy tongue weight. I know some stay between 25-45 lbs for 2 wheeled bikes... you could probably do 60-75 lbs... I wouldn't push it though.

Remember to keep your load evenly distributed too. Last thing you need is trailer sway and have a jackknifing episode; could be fatal.

I saw someone last weekend towing with a 1200 Sporty with a homemade trailer and what looked to be a homemade hitch setup. Looked pretty neat and interesting.