free website stats program Touring Tires | Harley Davidson Forums

Touring Tires

Sadist112

Well with 3,200 miles on the bike I got a nail in my rear tire (of course, couldn't be the front). The nail is right on the edge so I will find out later today if it can be fixed or not. If not time for a new tire. On my sport cruiser (Kawa Meanstreak) the tire of choice was the Avon Storm St, however not sure if that same tire will fit the Street Glide.

Can anyone recommend a good tire for the touring models? I would like something better than the stock Dunlap, I have never been a huge fan of those. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

it sucks, But tire replacement is the best way to go. The new dunlops aren't too bad, but if you like Avons, go with the Venom X or the Cobra. I'm not sure which one would fit the street glide. If it were me I'd go with Metzler 880 marathon series, but don't forget.......tire preferences vary as widely as oil preferences.:rider

Got 11k miles out of the stock dunlops on my 07 streetglide. Good mileage but not a lot of traction. put metzler me 880 marathons on it. much better traction but fewer miles. this is probably due to softer rubber compound. i found the metzlers didnt like tar snakes and would move more dramatically on uneven roads. now time for more tires (yes i have over 20k miles on my 07) and am going to avons. have had great success with avons on my two customs. actually got over 15k with a avon python 250 and great traction and ride. avon now has a corba series. nice looking tread pattern but no info on traction and mileage as these are fairly new. of the three brands i have had best results with the avons jmo

I have the avon cobra 200/55/17 on my FXST, 9000 miles on that tire and I'm about ready for a new one. I got about the same Mileage as the dunlop. The handling wasn't affected to a point to where I could notice, and the price was about 100 more than the dunlop. I do like the tread pattern better, but other than that no real difference. I ride about 200 miles a week solo on the freeway and 2 to 300 miles 2 up on the weekends. I don't ride to hard but I don't ride like an old man either.

I run Avon on my custom. I changed out the tires on my Ultra last month to the Dunlop E-3's and I love them. I have about 7,000 miles on them already. Those tire have been put to the test in all kinds of situations with the exception of snow so far. I ran through 500 miles of rain in a 24hr period running 75 mph. No issues. All I can say is that for me.....the junk stock 402's will NEVER touch those rims again.

Actually looks like I don't have a choice at all. The Dunlaps that are on there I believe were designed for the 09 touring models the tire is the Dunlap 407. I can't find any tires out there that have the same tire size 180/65 B16 without changing the aspect ratio which I don't want to do as I love the way the bike rides currently. Oh well back the stealer, better stretch so I don't pull a muscle bending over.

thanks for the all info

I cant give an accurate opinion for touring bikes as Im not about to swap out the Dunlops on the Glide till I get that last smoke show out of them.I did manage to go through 5 sets on my softail..Replaced stock Dunlops {also not a big fan},Metzler lazers {horrible in the rain},Metzler Me 880's {also horrible rain tires}.Finaly went to Avon Venom x's,2 sets and loved them.Actualy 2 and a half sets..A bolt losened up on the rear strut and dug into the rear sidewall after 80 miles on the first set, UUHHG!

I've also read that you shouldn't mix brands and compounds on your bike front to back. If that's true then you'll have to get a new front tire as well as rear if you change to anything other than stock. Price could become a consideration in that case.

I've also read that you shouldn't mix brands and compounds on your bike front to back. If that's true then you'll have to get a new front tire as well as rear if you change to anything other than stock. Price could become a consideration in that case.

I don't believe that you can't or even shouldn't mix brands from front to back. It's doesn't make that big of a difference IMO.

Back