free website stats program Touring swingarm holding/collecting water | Harley Davidson Forums

Touring swingarm holding/collecting water

oryxs

I just read this on another forum and thought I'll post here as I don't see it here.

[removed]

Apparently the belt guard is blocking water from exiting the swingarm. Would love to post the link but don't have 5 post yet :bigsmiley19:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Hobbit. Will have the dealer fix mine before it comes out the door next month. Sent you a pm as I need some advice on another matter.

There's a drain hole under the belt guard. The belt guard needs to be drilled so the drain hole can flow freely. There's also a hole in the front of the swingarm that's letting the water in....

One would think that a simple Service Bulletin would have been issued...but it could be just another PR thing allowed to slip under the radar. Risk management...easier to apologize than ask for permission and make things formal (never admit fault or wrong doing).

Before i go mad drilling holes in the chain guard, what year models dose it affect, and if someone could upload a photo it would be great.:newsmile065:

My 09 FLHT has never seen rain or a hose yet but I regret spending big bucks on an American Legend with so many probs.
My 2500.00 Goldwing from 1982 was pretty much worry free.
Guess I'll still look cool on the side of the road with a rusted out swingarm by the time its paid off.
Please do a "how to article", on plugging holes and preventing rust on a 2 month old, 20,000 dollar bike.

Last edited:
Go to the link above as there are pics there towards the end of the post,seems to be 09 only with the new frame

It would have been nice if the link wasn't removed

Now I have another thing to worry about with my 09 FLHX

mrkihn

Do a search for the following "09 touring swingarms hold water" and you will see another hd forum.(I hope this is allowable):s Go to the touring section and it will be there. If you can't find it pm me and I'll send you the link.

As I posted this as info to 09 touring owners, and not as an ad for another hd forum, the removal of the link should have been replaced with some info to the members here, or even a request to me for more info. Just my 2 cents. Now back to my vacation. :D

Have a good day

From what I read, it only affects the 09 touring bikes. If you look from the right hand side of the bike, behind the starter, you will see a hole in the swing arm. Looks like maybe 3/16" or so. If I understand correctly, there is a drain hole on the right side but the belt guard is covering it. The "home remedy" seems to be to remove the belt guard, locate the drain hole and drill a corresponding drain hole in the guard. I would guess that if the MOCO does address the problem, this will most likely be their fix.

I love my "American Legend". It's funny how we get caught up in all of the problem or negative posts and tend to forget all of the posts about what great bikes we all have. It makes you feel better if you look back through the "happy stories" once in a while.

Ride safe and enjoy.

mnultra

Have to agree with you on the joys of riding these bikes. Puts a smile on the dial every time!!! Thanks for the explanation as well.

Back