free website stats program Touring South Florida | Harley Davidson Forums

Touring South Florida

PeteINny

How is the riding in south Florida? This time of the year the Northeast is awesome. Lots of scenic rides without traffic. Thinking about relocating to Southwest Florida, Naples area, and was wondering how the riding is. I know the ride to the keys is an awesome ride. Anybody have any info?

In a nutshell:

1. Better weather - don't have to store your bike for the winter but you better have good rain gear for the chance of showers almost every afternoon

2. No mountains or hills of any kind - if hitting the twisties and roads with lots of elevation changes is what it takes to get your heart pumping, then Florida is not for you

I'm not trying to step on any Floridian's toes, just telling it like it is!

How about scenic backroads and traffic. I have visited numerous times and have always been caught up in the tourist thing.

This is a good link to look at some documented roads.

Florida Motorcycle Roads

Agree with Doc on most of the points, but the afternoon rains last from June to Sept. If you don't like humidity, then June-Sept will be bad. Oct to May, outstanding! Especially during Dec-Feb when we are riding and not shoveling snow.

Also, your house insurance doesn't include flood, so need to look into that. Also, you have a seperate deductable for hurricanes.

Agree with Doc on most of the points, but the afternoon rains last from June to Sept. If you don't like humidity, then June-Sept will be bad. Oct to May, outstanding! Especially during Dec-Feb when we are riding and not shoveling snow.

Yep, I should have been more specific. Just like up here in Georgia, the summer months are actually the worst months for riding. Just the opposite of our northern neighbors. The heat and humidity can be a real challenge and there always seems to be a chance of an afternoon shower. Every once in a while a high pressure system will settle in and give us several days of nice riding with no rain but not very often. Fall, winter, and early spring are perfect riding seasons. When I went to Sun 'N' Fun and Leesburgh in April of 2009, I rode in Florida and south Georgia for 5 days and never saw one single cloud!

Don't forget the love bugs in the summer time. They can mess up the paint. And they have a unique taste that some may not like.

How is the riding in south Florida? This time of the year the Northeast is awesome. Lots of scenic rides without traffic. Thinking about relocating to Southwest Florida, Naples area, and was wondering how the riding is. I know the ride to the keys is an awesome ride. Anybody have any info?

Hot, Humid, rains almost every day, aside from that a ride thru the Keys is always nice:D

I live in Naples, just went to Key West for a weekend had a blast and what a beautiful ride! The summers are rainy almost every afternoon, but during fall, winter & spring months(60&70's degrees) there is all kinds of things going on like bike nights, poker runs, charity rides ect... check out bikers post south florida.com Maybe I'll see you around when you move down.

Thanks for all of the answers. Maybe it will help with the separation anxiety from the northeast. Great video.

Back