free website stats program Touring seat for a Sportster | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Touring seat for a Sportster

Save yourself some $$$ & call Allen & his crew at Mean City Cycles (MCC) to get your seat modified. They can add gel, or mem foam...I just got mine back w/double mem foam upgrade & the difference is amazing.

Thanks for the info. What was the turn around time on your seat from MCC?

I was afraid you were going to get around to asking that.

I don't remember the specific model but it was one of their "400" series shocks. They have a nice website that will step you through your specific bike and tell you what fits:

Motorcycle Suspension :: Motorcycle Springs :: Progressive Suspension

Thanks for link, I hear nothing but great thing about progressives. That will be my next purchase after a new seat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for link, I hear nothing but great thing about progressives. That will be my next purchase after a new seat.

Regarding the touring seat, you have to first decide if it is a solo or two-up seat. Solo seat for longer distance means wider in the rear and more padding...maybe even a backrest...using seat blind mate socket mounting near the top of the fender radius. May want to also look at the "retro-look" springer seat, recently introduced in 2010 HD P&A Catalog.:s

If going two-up, the catalog carries, Sundowner, LePera and others for your bike...fairly easy to help you spend your money...the key is to work a deal with the dealer, some of the seats they have in stock or are on used inventory they may have on the floor for you to road test. :newsmile093:

I talked with a woman who used a Gel pad. She said that it makes all the difference in the world. On mine, I added Tempur Foam under the seat cover to better spread the weight around, otherwise my tail bone would concentrate the compression on the seat. Now, my legs also get to hold some of the weight. Lets put it this way: I can ride for 435 miles now and not have a sore butt. Hard seats can really ruin what is supposed to be a good trip. With my last bike, by the second day, I found myself sitting on one cheek, than the other cheek, then standing on the pegs, because the pain hurt so much.

Of course the alternative is to clip on a sheepskin and gel pad...it was a quick fix and protects the existing seat...

Rider-n-Pillion_Mods-1.jpg

I have had good experience with the "Genuine Sheepskin Cover" by American Motorcycle Specialties. It has rubber coated metal hooks w/Velcro backed nylon webbing straps that grip under the seat and lip. The Memory Foam w/ 3/4" Gel pad works great, the sizes are 11"L x 7"W one for the pillion #18000 and there are other sizes. The website is Motorcycle Gel Seat Pads, Covers, Seat covers & Tie-Downs or call 1-800-710-7237...cost is about $75-$95.

I am also looking to replace stock seat as 150 miles is my "butts limit". Can anyone offer comments on comparing Mustang with back support to Corbin Gun "whatever" with back support
Thanks, Andy

Hi .
An interesting topic with some very good suggestions. Here's another one.(I hope) I have been reading some threads about owners who also installed Road King air shocks . The results were very impressive . Easy installation and a very smooth ride! a real plus as well for two up riding. I am thinking about doing this mod on my 1200 as my sixty year old bones are just that!! Anyway it's worth a thought . Just my two cents.

I had an 08XL1200R and my wife had an 08XL1200L. I went with the sundowner seat and a pair of progressive shocks and my wife went with the sundowner and left her stocks shock. The sundowner seat made a world of difference. It doesn't hurt to ask your local dealer what they have as I kept my sundowner and took it to the dealer and they try to get a home for it at a substantially reduced price over new.

That's the beauty of working w/MCC - you control the schedule. All you have to do is call for appointment day & make sure seat's there on schedule. I sent mine 5-days in advance from NE (MCC is in NC) and the return time was 3-days so the entire process was little over 1-week from time it left my hands to being back on bike. Memory foam's awesome & shapes to your body so can't wait until spring to give it a test run...

Mean City Cycles Custom Seat Modifications :: Home

I put a Mustang seat and Progressive shocks on my '07 XL1200C and it made a big difference. For me, the actual limiting factor preventing long rides on my Sporty was the frame size/sitting position. Perfect for flicking the bike through twisty turns (what it was intended for after all) but not so good for hour after hour of cruising. Many folks tour on Sportsters but it just wasn't for me.

+1, only I went with a SunDowner Touring seat. Excellent comfortable seat. As stated, limiting factor is that I just didn't fit the bike. Mine was a 08 1200C Sporty. A few day trips, but 15K in about 20 months. Took it in for the 15K service when I saw 07 Road King Police that I ride now. 6Months on that and had 10,500 on it. It's been to Daytona, Myrtle Beach, and Md on vacation.

Wife is making slow adjustments on her 07 1200L Sporty. She's made a couple of all day rides and making changes as she figures out what's right and what needs to be changed. Tracy

my first bike was a sporters..use a new pillow case sit from hd.
Was very nice for long trip. check on craiglist first and safe $

Back