free website stats program Touring seat for a Sportster | Harley Davidson Forums

Touring seat for a Sportster

jetwrench

Before spring I would like to purchase a new seat for the longer trips I'm planning, right now my bottom is hurting after 100 miles on my 08 1200L stock seat. Any recommendations would be great since I don't have any experience with any aftermarket brands.

I put a Mustang seat and Progressive shocks on my '07 XL1200C and it made a big difference. For me, the actual limiting factor preventing long rides on my Sporty was the frame size/sitting position. Perfect for flicking the bike through twisty turns (what it was intended for after all) but not so good for hour after hour of cruising. Many folks tour on Sportsters but it just wasn't for me.

I second DrDoolittle. While not a Sporty, I had a Vulcan 750 that while a great bike in the turns, was brutal on trips of any length. The Mustang seat easily doubled my time in the saddle before I needed to dismount and stretch. The big limiting factor for me was the weight of the bike (about 500lbs). A machine that light transmits every bump and road irregularity. An aftermarket seat and suspension work will definitley help. Whether it's enough, is really up to the individual....

Thanks for your input, sounds like mustang is a common recommendation. Dr. dolittle, what model of progressives did you put on your Sporty?

I agree with everyone else here, but the limiting factor for me while riding in my HOG chapter or with big twin owner friends is I always run ut of fuel sooner, due to the smaller gas tank. Could be because of my heavy right hand and big smile, but I'd never admit that. Sportsters are great!
WAP.gif

Save yourself some $$$ & call Allen & his crew at Mean City Cycles (MCC) to get your seat modified. They can add gel, or mem foam...I just got mine back w/double mem foam upgrade & the difference is amazing.

Before spring I would like to purchase a new seat for the longer trips I'm planning, right now my bottom is hurting after 100 miles on my 08 1200L stock seat. Any recommendations would be great since I don't have any experience with any aftermarket brands.

Does your low have forward controls, something you may also consider for cruising. I agree with you, the stock seat is just not real comfortable, was always ready for a stop after 100 or so.

I know it's impossible to try out seats but, they do have differences that can can make even the best seat might not fit you well.

I have a Lepera Bare Bones solo and it's firm but, it's pretty good. I also have a Drag Specialties Predator and it's nice too. Both seats are a little more narrow than stock but, they provide better support for longer trips.

I haven't upgraded the shocks yet but, plan on it. Consult with the supplier (Like Progressive) what your needs are such as 2-up combined weight or just solo touring and your own weight etc. They should be able to come up with something that fits the bill.

If that doesn't work, you can always try out a big twin! lol.

I put the widest Mustang seat on my Sportster, and it made a big difference. However, it raised the saddle height about 4". So I can't stop flatfooted.

Back