free website stats program Touring on a Fatboy | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Touring on a Fatboy

I'm a newbie, but with the right equipment you can do almost anything on a Fat Boy. I have a screamin eagle fat boy and its very versatile. This is how I have it planned out

1) Solo Seat, for cruising around town alone
2) Two up seat for cruising around town with the girl
3) 2 up seat, sissy bar with luggage rack for short trips
4) 2 up seat, sissy bar with luggage rack, saddle bags and windshield for touring

Here are some examples, but this is NOT my bike.

2006 Harley Davidson Screaming Eagle Fatboy

My son rode his 09 Fatboy from Central Wi out to Cody Wyoming and back in June. He has HD backrest/luggage rack, HD saddle bags and a HD strap on tour pack. The group put on over 3,000 miles in 2 weeks. He lost his rear master cylinder from the bike in front of him kicking up a rock and shattering it in the Mountains, so he had to ride all the way back without rear brakes. I had the dealer at Rapid City check for a master cylinder in SD and MN and the only place he found 1 was in Wi (our local dealer where he bought the bike new). When he got back our dealer fixed it for him UNDER WARRANTY! He said the stock seat got pretty tiring after 400 miles or so and his wrist got really sore. He is 21 and had no real problems, I'm quite a bit older and we only rode as far as Rapid City, but we were on baggers.
We took a nice ride last summer up to Door County in Wi and put about 600 miles on in 2 days, so a Fatboy can be a great long haul bike with the right mods. Good luck and have fun!

Typically the older the rider, the bigger the bike, used to tour on a 69 Sportster hard tail, but those days are long past....but I was younger and stupid then, but my buddies will tell you now I am older and more stupid.....and uglier....

I like Fat Boys. Have two of them. As mentioned the bags (detatchable or not) wouldn't be without them, but I like the detatchable windshield and backrest with luggage rack for local riding when I want the wind in my face. Also, it is not much, but they make deflectors that bolt up along the head lamp and reach down the tubes. They help for nuisance rains and look good all the time.
Enjoy.

Load that sucker up like a pack mule and hit the road. If the bike fits and the seat is right...no problem.

Paulas Fatboy handles a load just fine and she can ride, ride, ride...:D

I have racked up thousands of miles on Fatboys touring around the world... currently have 70,000 miles on my 03 and have not had problem one with it. Did change out the seat to a Mustang though because of the comfort and back support.

Heading for Yellowstone on mine 1800 miles. I'd ride it to the moon if I could, but I just love riding. Hopefully that doesn't wear off.

Back