free website stats program Touring Model Research | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Touring Model Research

OK folks. I think I may have convinced the little lady to put a leg over a touring rig.

She won't be new so, it's the used market for me. Visually, the missus loves the look of the RK. I know a lot of folks will say, just get an EG and avoid having to update an RK with tourpak and all the rest as time goes on.

For me, if it makes the missus happy, I'm happy. And we do enjoy travelling together. She's also happy to ride on the back with no desire to ride her own. So, it's 2up.

I'm looking at 2009 models and newer.

So the question is, what are the more common things I need to look out for? Cam tensioner and compensator replacement? Long as they are done right and fairly recent?

I'm ok changing fluids and maybe brake pads etc. But, something a little more involved means, I'm enlisting some help and that would be an additional expense shortly purchase.

There is no urgency. I'm just surfing the web, checking out listings. Window shopping.

PS. While I might be targeting RK, I still like RG fixed fairings and not opposed to EGU either. If there is a deal to be had on any touring machine, I'm not going to dismiss it because it's not a RK. lol.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

If what you ride puts a smile on your face it's the right bike.
The RK is a very versatile Bike,you can add acc.as you go.
Lots of used trunks,seats ect. Are avalible.
A few things to consider .
4 point docking so you can switch out the trunk,sis bar,makes it very easy.
The Rk.classic has cruise control,if you are planing on road trips this is very important .
Also the Rk seat isn't very comfy (not the words my wife used)but the ultra seat fits and she is happy.
The standard handle bars aren't to comfortable if you are short in the arms.one option that doesn't
cost to much is Heritage handle bar.
Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input everyone.

I have been researching the used market. Most will have paid the HD tax with various levels of upgrades like a complete stage 1 and other stuff. So that will likely be the path taken.

The dollar isn't in my favour to purchase stateside and my brief research so far suggests there isn't much difference. Not that I'm ruling anything out. Just have to be careful if going that way.

I demo'd a Roadglide Special last summer and really enjoyed it. But Vic wasn't with me at the time. The stock seat for 2 up and lack of back rest, I'm not sure she would have been convinced a change was for the better? But she knows a seat change can make the world of difference in any bike.

@STEVE07 we will be in touch my friend. Your advise is always sound.

@STEVE07 I'm going to stop in Blackbridge HD sometime this week to check out the new place.

Just doing my couch research to help pass away time when I can't ride.

Went to the bike show in Toronto and got to see a lot of bikes. Before Polaris announced Victory's demise, I asked Vic what she thought of them. She wasn't impressed.

We looked at Indian. Lots of folks getting info, sitting on them. I found it a bit too busy and didn't bother waiting to get a chance to sit on one or chat up a rep.

Vic isn't a HD snob. We looked at other makes. Some Asian, some Brit. But, when it comes to touring, it really comes down to HD. The Brit has some offerings that doesn't suit both of us. I even showed her a nice BMW. She said we can look at it if you want. But, I don't like it. Lol.

This might get me into trouble but, I think I can pretty well get what ever model I want as long as it's the color she likes. Lol. I showed her one bike. Loved it! Showed her the same bike in another color, it was ok.

She likes the dark merlot, burgandy, or blue or whatever they have named them this year. That works for me too.

Back