free website stats program Touring Model Research | Harley Davidson Forums

Touring Model Research

nakkers

OK folks. I think I may have convinced the little lady to put a leg over a touring rig.

She won't be new so, it's the used market for me. Visually, the missus loves the look of the RK. I know a lot of folks will say, just get an EG and avoid having to update an RK with tourpak and all the rest as time goes on.

For me, if it makes the missus happy, I'm happy. And we do enjoy travelling together. She's also happy to ride on the back with no desire to ride her own. So, it's 2up.

I'm looking at 2009 models and newer.

So the question is, what are the more common things I need to look out for? Cam tensioner and compensator replacement? Long as they are done right and fairly recent?

I'm ok changing fluids and maybe brake pads etc. But, something a little more involved means, I'm enlisting some help and that would be an additional expense shortly purchase.

There is no urgency. I'm just surfing the web, checking out listings. Window shopping.

PS. While I might be targeting RK, I still like RG fixed fairings and not opposed to EGU either. If there is a deal to be had on any touring machine, I'm not going to dismiss it because it's not a RK. lol.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Buy a touring rig in the states, you'll save a bunch of money. 2007 and up have new style hydraulic tensioner and seem to hold up well.

I have a 2012 roadking and the ride is very smooth. I purchased my used and it had Rinehart mufflers,kuryakyn tail lights,handlegrips,and docking hardware,then bought a backrest and luggage rack [used] from ebay Good Luck.

When looking, tell her "one saddlebag is yours, one is mine". Then when you are at a tour pack equipped bike, you can mention how much extra room SHE would have on a trip. As far as which model, eh, An Ipod with earbuds will give her better sound than rear speakers on an Ultra. Listening to front speakers only from the back of a Classic, just sounds like noise to my wife. Intercom? I think you two have been married long enough to appreciate some quiet, and totally understand each others hand gestures. As long as you let her think she picked out the bike, you're golden.

When looking, tell her "one saddlebag is yours, one is mine". Then when you are at a tour pack equipped bike, you can mention how much extra room SHE would have on a trip. As far as which model, eh, An Ipod with earbuds will give her better sound than rear speakers on an Ultra. Listening to front speakers only from the back of a Classic, just sounds like noise to my wife. Intercom? I think you two have been married long enough to appreciate some quiet, and totally understand each others hand gestures. As long as you let her think she picked out the bike, you're golden.

You can get the tour pak on the RK. :). <-- See my profile pic. :D. I love mine, but I don't ride it a lot, I've only used the tour pak once, and I rarely ride two up. ;)

Go to Kitchener Harley (Blackbridge now) and ask to ride a few bikes. They will let you take new and used. That way you can feel what the two of you will like. Or as I have offered before take her for a ride on my bike.

As far as which model, eh, An Ipod with earbuds will give her better sound than rear speakers on an Ultra. Listening to front speakers only from the back of a Classic, just sounds like noise to my wife. Intercom? I think you two have been married long enough to appreciate some quiet, and totally understand each others hand gestures. As long as you let her think she picked out the bike, you're golden.
The back speakers on the Ultra Classic just make my wife's lower cheeks vibrate and can't really hear them at highway speeds. We've used the intercom on one trip and only one day. It was just as well for me to turn my head and talk and for her to lean forward and talk to me. Any major yaking waited until we were stopped.
Stock compensator on the '09 is a "will need to replace sometime" part. Mine made 60,000 kms before I replaced it last year with the SE. I'm pretty sure you'll replace the stock seat if it hasn't already been upgraded.
Have fun searching and I hope our exchange rate improves if you look to the states for a bike.

What Breeze said! Hey, I love my Road King and wouldnt trade it for a geezer glide. I like the simplicity of it, I like the fact that I havent had to "fix" or replace the radio 5 times. My phone or Ipod sounds great and works everytime. Mrs. Bodeen's Ipod or phone also sounds good to me when she wants to listen disco or whatever she wants. lol. If you dont have the storage space, you wont miss it. We ride two up and I have some luggage that I can throw on and always seem to have enough space. I bought some of these http://www.coolsac.com/ years ago and couldn't be happier with it. Every once in a great while I wonder how much warmer my hands would be if I had a fairing to block the wind from my hands. Good luck with your search Sean and keep us posted.

I have an Road King Classic, with a variety of seats and saddles, tourpak, and aftermarket EG-style fairing (Woody's). I can configure her in a variety of ways in just a few minutes. Because of that, my club brothers do not know what machine I will ride up on. This makes the RK the most configurable of the touring options. I can strip her down, or dress her up, whatever I am in the mood for.

Pics available upon request...

Enjoy,
Rich P

Pass on the Road King; the Road Glide and Electraglide are better platforms for two up touring. Most used will at least have paid the Harley "tax" and have the Stage I upgrade done; after market exhaust will so indicate. '09 model year was a big change year and a good place to start but if budget allows look for 2011 when the 103" motor was introduced. Actually both the 96" and 103" are underpowered and will benefit from a bolt in cam to better support two up and loaded touring. JMHO but the Road Glide is the better handling of all three.:icon_wink: Keep doing the homework but riding is the ultimate test; you need to ride any bike you are considering; it should start easy, idle smoothly, shift smoothly, not backfire on decal, run straight down the road when you take your hands off the bars and not make any strange noises or have any strange vibrations. The only issue that might show up soon after you take delivery could be the compensator/motor sprocket assembly; common in later models and the factory has had at least two upgrades, you should ask about that. The dealer can run the VIN against the system and any work done by a dealer will show up. Good luck.:icon_wink:

Back