Touring gear/tent

Discussion in 'Road Trips/Touring' started by crasha51pan, Nov 20, 2009.

1. crasha51pan

crasha51pan Member

Getting some gear together for summer of 2010. Need a lightweight tent for two, easy to pack and set up. Focused in on a tent called the MSR Hubba Hubba. Anyone have experience with this tent, would like to hear some thoughts...

2. jaceddie

jaceddie Junior Member

Thanks for the link Tank. I've been looking for tents too.

3. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

TT, the tent you selected seems awesome. I always wondered why pitching a tent had to be such a ritual...the one goes up and takes down in 3 or 4 minutes is an awesome thing...especially for those who had to pitch one up in bad weather. About the only downside I see is the price and apparently they are having problems with delivery for the 2 and 3 man tents...:bigsmiley15:

4. Clint

Clint Active Member

Just make sure you have enough room to stow your gear too!

This is a $27 model.

We couldn't find what we really wanted before the trip so we decided to go cheap just to get by. It worked out well and we weren't out much dough!
    [​IMG]

5. crasha51pan

crasha51pan Member

6. RetiredJake

RetiredJake Junior Member

7. EnjoyingTheRyde

EnjoyingTheRyde Junior Member

I cant' give you a review of the Hubba Hubba but I can say MSR sells good products. I can give you a review on the LL Bean Micro Light. I've had one for several years now and it has performed very well as a three season tent in all weather. There is not a lot of room but there is a small vestibule for your gear. Split it into separate bags and it packs well. It is not free standing. The tent itself is mesh with a full coverage nylon fly.

Here's a link..

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=microlight-tent&categoryId=53422&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=500105&cat4=1096&shop_method=pp&feat=1096-sub2&np=Y

8. gmurdock

gmurdock Active Member

I think you will find that most 2 man tents have little to no room for gear also. From camping for many years with the boy scouts. Look for 1 that has a vestible or for more than what you are camping with. My 2 man tent is enough room for 2 full size sleeping bags and that is it inside. I have had it for so long I will have to see if it says what kind it is when I get home? Most tmes you get what you pay for in a tent.

9. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

ON MY 09 FLHR USING DOCKING POINTS FOR MY LUGGAGE RACK AND SISSY BAR.
    ::::: I IGNORE the 10/14 lbs. rating on the LUGGAGE RACK as i install the rack hooking it into the docking hardware points..... that gives me KINDA unlimited weight in T-BAG to rack

most people worry about the 10/14 lbs and DON"T NEED TO IF DOCKING STYLE BIKE LUGGAGE RACK is used....JMO

signed....BUBBIE

10. BOBFLHTC

BOBFLHTC Active Member

On several occasions I’ve used a hammock. It gets chilly in cold weather but it’s nice when it’s hot and it keeps you off the ground. You do need two places to anchor it. I just use a cheap throw away painter’s tarp in case it rains. The hammock provides a nice place to relax in before you turn in for the night too. I purchased some backpacking hammocks with mosquito netting but the bottoms gave way. The one I use now I purchased in Mexico 25 years ago while rebuilding a church in the Yucatan and it looks like it will outlast me. In fact that’s what the locals use down there cradle to grave. Anyway it’s an option.