free website stats program Touring Bike Wobble | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Touring Bike Wobble

The only time I've ever experienced a wobble is if I don't have the air shocks or tire pressures right. As soon as I correct that, it rides fine.

I get a barely perceived wobble at low speed (under 20 or so) upon deceleration. Nothing at any higher speed. Steering head tighteness seems to be within specs. Bothers me a little but nothing too serious.

Deceleration by which method. Using the engine w/downshifting, rear brake, front brake or combo. I would guess one way has to be worse than others.

Sorry for taking so long to answer. Just forgot about this thread. Hands loosely on bars or off bars and coasting in gear but not lugging engine.

My 09 Ultra did the same thing until they replaced the front tire. The D407F tire developed a wobble under conditions as you describe. The new D408 tire does not do it on my bike.

Mine came with the 408F so I doubt they'll admit it's the tire although I suspect it is. If it had come with the 407 they'd have no choice but to replace it. Tire pressure is 36 front and 40 rear. It's really not that bad and I have 8300 miles on the bike since I bought it new in July.

24,000 miles on my 08 Ultra without any wobble in all kinds of driving terrain.

Have to say though, I'm getting way too old to consider above 80 mph riding so if the discussion revolves around those kinds of speeds....not something the average rider would ever encounter

I have had both wobbles on my 01 ultra Low speed was from front tire weak side wall very noticeable when riding with no hands the other at speeds over 70 mph on long sweepers and hit a bit of a dip sets up steering in swing arm scary but as mentioned earlier loosen grip on bars (touring bikes only) and bike straightened itself out my experiences anyway

Noteworthy quote from the Weave and Wobble Article:

"I have never examined a weaving or wobbling stock Harley-Davidson motorcycle that did not have a fault. Most were maintenance or wear related. A few developed weaves from being loaded improperly. "

This may explain by some bikes wobble and some don't.

No wobble here...just a great ride from 1 mph to 120....I try to take most turns somewhere in between but still rock solid....except for when I hit the darn gravel.:s:

Back