touring bike question

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by horatio, Jun 9, 2011.

1. horatio

horatio Member

When I look at a picture of a touring motorcycle there is a pipe or something between the front tire and the frame. What is it? It is in front of the forward controls and just circles back to itself. Is it for safety, for putting your feet on to stretch out, for something else.

Sorry for a stupid question, but if I get an answer I will not have to be stupid on that subject any longer.

Thanks

2. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

horatio; I believe you're describing what's called a "crash bar" or "engine guard" which is standard on all touring bikes.

3. horatio

horatio Member

I was thinking it might be some kind of crash bar but could not think how it would work. How come it is not on other types of Harleys?

Thanks for the answer.

4. Cyclops

Cyclops Active Member

Crash bars can be applied to nearly every HD model, they're not just for Touring bikes and they're not only on touring bikes.

5. kemo

kemo R.I.P

It is a crashbar that will protect the bike and rider in case of a mishap. For legal reasons it is an engine guard. Riders will mount hiway foot pegs to it
    Ken

6. horatio

horatio Member

so if I were to buy a Dyna with mid controls and wanted to stretch out my legs on a long ride, I could buy one of these guards and put pegs on them?

7. kemo

kemo R.I.P

There are other brands rather then just H/D bars. Lindy makes a bar also that riders will rest their feet on, their bar is shipped like Harleys bar and shield logo
    Ken

8. oldhippie

oldhippie Senior Member

Yes... For me they are a must have option. Can save your bike from worse damage when you happen to drop it and save a leg from being pinned under the motor if you are unlucky enough to not get out of the way.

9. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

After my Streetbob got hit from behind and knocked over I installed a crash bar, I like the looks and it gives me an extra place to hang my feet:s