free website stats program Tour Pack Sealant? | Harley Davidson Forums

Tour Pack Sealant?

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
UPS delivered my new Tour Pack and associated goodies the other day. Got most of the assembly done last night. Today I'm out putting the luggage rack on top of the tour pack. Instructions mention putting a sealant on the washers and bolts used to attach the rack to the top of the pack to prevent water leaking into the pack. What kind of sealant does everyone recommend? I guess if you only put it on the inside of the pack it still seals OK? Don't want any excess oozing out up top where it would be visible, or does it dry crystal clear?

Please forgive me for being so dumb!

I just used some clear silicone sealant like you get at Home Depot. It appears to have worked well.

Hey Doc. here in the automotive filed I haven't seen much in the way of clear sealant that didn't turn yellow after a year in the sun, I used a black silicone sealer on mine, mainly put enough on the shank of the bolt to seal to hole, the black trim seams to cover the area good, but after it is all tight, wiped off any extra before it sets up, I didn't use to much and didn't have any extra come out. No leaks yet and I installed it 10,000 miles ago

I would go with the clear silicone on the underside washers myself. Give it a good dab on the stud where it passes through the lid and after tightening it down wipe off the excess with some silicone and wax remover for a clean well sealed job.

OK - 2 votes for clear and 1 vote for black. Maybe I should have started a poll! :p

Sounds like the main thing is to snug it up and immediately wipe off the excess, no matter what color. I like to think I would have done this anyway but my brain has a nasty habit of slipping into neutral at the most inconvenient times.

Back