free website stats program tour pack or trailer | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

tour pack or trailer

If you need a trailer take the car.
Touring on a bike is an art you learn how and what you need to pack over time short trips turn to longer trips.
You learn what you really on need one phone and charger if two up you learn to mail junk you buy home rather than carry it. Almost all good motels have wash machines.
trailers are a pain were do you leave it when you don want it. Then you spend all your time wondering if it will ge stolen. If you pulling it there are a lot of places you will not go because it is to much of a pain.
And the end the more room you have the more you will pack

I roll my trailer in my room...its very easy...its like roll on luggage.......lol...the unigo trailer is extremely easy to handle...and all the people who travel with us ..seems to ask.."Hey ya got room for this"...all of us that do pull trailers know what I am talking about... I don't ride out for 2 to 3 weeks to see how least i can carry...lol I go for fun...i don't try and impress people of how little i can take ..we do what we do coz we love to ride.... ...lol...Our camera and quick to need items are very easy to gain access to in the 13 X24 roll pack...lol..if i had to travel by cage i would not own a Harley...I am 64 and have no trouble with balance...at least not for the last 54,000 miles.

I think it all depends on how you travel. A buddy of mine hikes the Appalachain Trail and I talked to him about how to pack: what you need vs. what you think you need. Almost everyone I talk to ends up bringing less stuff, each time they travel. Are you camping when you travel or will you stay in hotels? Obviously that makes a big difference. With some of the technical clothing, like polypropylene, you can wash things in a sink and have them dry by morning.

I would try making it with the tourpak first and see how it works out. If you need more space then get it.

No matter what, definitely ride with caution. Packing on the gear and another passenger really changes the handling. Especially in a hard braking situation.
I think no matter what you do to carry cargo, you will love traveling by motorcycle. If you weren't a riding junkie before, you will be. If it wasn't for ice, snow and maintenance, I would never get into a 4 wheeler again.

smitty 901 has it right .....I've done both on trips, and sold my trailer. and put a rack on the tour-pak its a lot easier without the trailer. the wife figured out that she didnt need all that extra stuff thank god.... trailer +++ are more stuff and visabilty trailer---- are slower speeds and fuel consumption you get over 65mph and it goes quick. we all most ran out on one trip by not keeping an eye on the level before leaving one town and made it to the next on fumes good luck on your choice and hope this helps........

Last edited:
I roll my trailer in my room...its very easy...its like roll on luggage.......lol...the unigo trailer is extremely easy to handle...and all the people who travel with us ..seems to ask.."Hey ya got room for this"...all of us that do pull trailers know what I am talking about... I don't ride out for 2 to 3 weeks to see how least i can carry...lol I go for fun...i don't try and impress people of how little i can take ..we do what we do coz we love to ride.... ...lol...Our camera and quick to need items are very easy to gain access to in the 13 X24 roll pack...lol..if i had to travel by cage i would not own a Harley...I am 64 and have no trouble with balance...at least not for the last 54,000 miles.

Here is Fourdogs trailer

4236d1250972951t-motorcycle_trailer-pict0009.jpg

and a link to their website Uni-go Trailers Texas Plus

and a link to another thread on trailers motorcycle trailer - Harley Davidson Community

Happy reading!:D

I rode to Sturgis in August with my 09 Ultra Classic. I almost did not have enough room to pack my stuff and camping gear. I had a duffel bag in the passenger seat. There is no way I could have taken my wife this year.

My wife wants to go to Sturgis next year so my choice of options was a trailer.

Here is a photo of the bike and trailer. Trailer cost was $986.00. All aluminum construction with LED lights.

The spare wheel and tire is now mounted under the frame and the Diamond Plate box in the back is a tool box that will fit on the cooler rack in front of the trailer.

Tim

Attachments

• New Trailer and Ultra Classic 001.jpg
    New Trailer and Ultra Classic 001.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 23
  • New Trailer and Ultra Classic 003.jpg
    New Trailer and Ultra Classic 003.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 62
  • New Trailer and Ultra Classic 012.jpg
    New Trailer and Ultra Classic 012.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 15
  • New Trailer and Ultra Classic 015.jpg
    New Trailer and Ultra Classic 015.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 16
  • New Trailer and Ultra Classic 027.jpg
    New Trailer and Ultra Classic 027.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 15
Guys ..Guys.. ok so ya tell your wife ya wanna bike..ya just retired after 37 years with the same company. Life looking up..ya think wow what now?...Then circumstances creates the perfect scenario...you go to Vietnam Vet reunion and while your waiting here comes two Black beautiful Harleys up the road. Your brain kicks into gear and ya can just picture yourself doing that. Never been on a motorcycle in your life. Years passin by... your 58...so ya say to your wife. Babe so what ya think if i buy a Harley....first reponce she questions your intelligent s ( best way yo put it ). Then she says well "Go for it"....but she adds ..you can't leave me home..you go I go...hey cool what a deal. so I haven't been cool all my life. I've never felt the need to impress anyone but my wife.( yeah still lol) So..i did the riders ed...and we took to the road...Yeah and after 54,000 plus miles..east coast to the west coast now age 64...still only worry about impressing her and enjoy doing it on two wheels..so for the guys here that says ..take a car..Nope..you take a car I'm riding with my wife and enjoy it more than anything we've ever done. I love my kids but now theres no cooler way to visit them...So for all you cool Dude out there that like to see what you can't take...2 thumbs up!..but for the rest of us...not so impressive bikers ..hey ya gotta love it ..Right.. am posting pics just before one of trips ..this was going to Canada..btw we live in Missouri...lol..the trip only took 14 days.....2800 mile....meeting a gazillion nice people and our first visit to Niagara Falls... so tell me we ain't cool...lol btw..Notice the smile on my wifes face just before leaving...thats what makes it worth it to me...lol

jpg.gif trailer connect.jpg (96.2 KB)

jpg.gif soooo whats cha waiting for.jpg (90.7 KB)

jpg.gif a notice the smile lol.jpg (87.7 KB)

Attachments

• a notice the smile lol.jpg
    a notice the smile lol.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 22
  • soooo whats cha waiting for.jpg
    soooo whats cha waiting for.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 126
  • trailer connect.jpg
    trailer connect.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I rode to Sturgis in August with my 09 Ultra Classic. I almost did not have enough room to pack my stuff and camping gear. I had a duffel bag in the passenger seat. There is no way I could have taken my wife this year. My wife wants to go to Sturgis next year so my choice of options was a trailer.

Here is a photo of the bike and trailer. Trailer cost was $986.00. All aluminum construction with LED lights. The spare wheel and tire is now mounted under the frame and the Diamond Plate box in the back is a tool box that will fit on the cooler rack in front of the trailer.

Tim

Tim, now that is one fine rig you can be proud of...:small3d018:I take it back what I said about 3 week option probably met that Bags & Tourpak were a best bet. That trailer would be a fine alternative for two-up, even from a minimalist perspective who is a proud owner of a Sporty. :cheers

Last edited:
Here' the way to go...not bragin' just fact. No problems pulling, parking, or stopping. Pulled it 8744 miles this spring '09 from Ohio to California and back. Not one problem. I say get ya a trailer and pack it the way ya want to.

Attachments

• Trip pix 084.jpg
    Trip pix 084.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Rob's Around the States Trip 3-20-09 003.jpg
    Rob's Around the States Trip 3-20-09 003.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Rob's Around the States Trip 3-20-09 012.jpg
    Rob's Around the States Trip 3-20-09 012.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 23
Here' the way to go...not bragin' just fact. No problems pulling, parking, or stopping. Pulled it 8744 miles this spring '09 from Ohio to California and back. Not one problem. I say get ya a trailer and pack it the way ya want to.

Looking great....Nice match...and don't it make life lot easier.

Back