tour pack or trailer

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by danno138, Oct 6, 2009.

1. danno138

danno138 Member

I plan on some long range touring next summer.What do you think is the best way to carry cargo and supplies for a two or three week trip.

2. kemo

kemo R.I.P

I would think that if your travelling solo just the luggage on the bike should do. You are going to do laundry aren't you. A trailer will most likely cost you 10mpg. If I was travelling with the wife I would diffinetly take a tailer

3. olddude

olddude Member

I have both a tour pack and a trailer, I have found that the tour pack will not hold every thing the wife wants to take on trips even if its just for a couple of days, we also do a lot of camping and leave the gear in the trailer ready for the next trip.

4. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

Tourpak is my vote.We try to do as much travelling as we can and I don't want to haul a trailer with the bike,(even though I sell them) When our clothes are ready for cleaning I have found that most hotels and campgrounds have laundry facilities.

5. Doug_09ultra

Doug_09ultra Junior Member

Hey Steve, I have to admit that I'm a little surprised that YOU don't want to haul a trailer. You gotta have access to some really cool ones!

6. STEVE07

I tow trailers to the tune of about 80,000 miles a year,I don't want to tow one when I am riding.I put a hitch on my bike to display trailers for a show,then took it off the day the show ended

7. jaceddie

jaceddie Junior Member

Steve, have you found any problems with towing a trailer with a bike. I wanted to get one for long trips with the wife, but I've heard some horror stories about towing with a bike?

8. STEVE07

The number of bikes towing trailers isn't that large,we only sell 15-20 a year.The people we have sold to don't seem to have any problems,including a friend of mine who has had his trailer for 10yrs. now and has put over 100,000 on his bike most of them spent towing.Install a good oil cooler and ride sensibly.

9. AcidRayn

AcidRayn Active Member

tourpak but i might be biased.
    get the king tourpak if you can, you wont be sorry

10. Redfish-Joe

Redfish-Joe Senior Member

For me it has to be a trailor. Besides the tent, air mattress, covers and pillows, rain gear and this time of year cool/cold weather just in case stuff. I have my small bag.

My bag contains:
    2 pair jeans
    3 shirts
    3 socks
    3 drawers
    Extra pair of boots

My wifes travel chest:
    4 jeans
    numerious stepins
    PJ's
    6 pair socks
    4 t-shirts
    4 nice shirts long and short sleve
    2 pair of shoes not to mention the boots she will be wearing
    Curling Iron
    Blow dryer
    Makeup

And I'm sure I am missing something. She has gone to Walmart right now.
    All this to go to Ak and Texas for a few days. :p