free website stats program Tour or Dyna, that is the question | Harley Davidson Forums

Tour or Dyna, that is the question

Lawdog314

It looks as though I will be moving momma up to some heavy metal this season or next. She has progressed well on the little 750 Shadow I got her a couple of years ago. She has been a real sport and made numerous 300 mile trips, but she is about crippled after.

Sooo, she likes the looks of the Street Glide, I think she could handle it, BUT she sat on the new Switchback and really liked how similar it felt to the little Shadow. She said she has to have cruise control, and the dealer agreed to put it on the Switchback for a couple of bills.

I have never driven a Dyna of any sort. I question weather on a trip over a few hundred miles if it would be as comfortable for her as the Glide. As far as taking the bags and windshield off, she will never bother. She likes having the convenience of storage and has never been a fan of bugs in the teeth.

I like that the Switchback is several thousand less than the Street Glide, but if the smaller bike is little improvement over what she has now, I hate the thought of having to buy another bike in a season or two.

What says you all? :newsmile076: Thanks!:newsmile047:

I'm not that familiar with the Switchback, I know it's basically a Dyna with saddlebags. As far as I know it has the same frame as all other Dynas. If your wife plans on taking a lot of 300+ mile trips, I'd go with the SG as you mentioned.

After owning E Glides and Dynas I am biased, Best advice I could give is demo ride them, OR Rent one of each for a week end and put some miles on:D

I agree with Jack, I demo ride as often as they have them around the Houston area, and have been known to rent as well; but if I had to choose between the two, the Street Glide would be the choice for my wife.

I have ridden my Dyna on two week trips, and was eager to get on the road every morning. I won't try to tell you which to choose, and I know it's not road test season in Maine. Ask the dealer to leave her alone with each one for a while on the showroom and let her get the static feel of each one (on the stand, off the stand, seating/ handlebar position, etc.). That may help her make a decision. Or make her crazy. I love not helping to make a decision. :small3d023:

Thanks all! I think waiting and letting her demo both will be our course of action. I have had the buyer's remorse with other equipment and kicked myself for not researching it better. :58: Don't want to go there again.

I am very biased towards the touring bikes. Just bought my 2010, Ultra leftover after crashing my perfectly good Road King.:newsmile08: Story for another thread...

Thanks again and all you folks in the warmer climes, send some of that my way will ya???:rofl:newsmile033::newsmile078:

I like that the Switchback is several thousand less than the Street Glide, but if the smaller bike is little improvement over what she has now, I hate the thought of having to buy another bike in a season or two.

What says you all? :newsmile076: Thanks!:newsmile047:

Get an ultra classic and you'll never look back.:D

If she likes the Glide, I would get the glide. Dyna can be comfortable with the right seat on it and such, but wind reduction, frame, suspension of the SG would probably do her good on the 300+ mile trips.

I love my Dyna and have not done anything more than 100 on it, but the difference when I rented the SG for a weekend was unbelievable.

At the end of the day she has to go with what she likes and feels comfortable on best. Both bikes will do her good, but she'll want suspension and seat upgrade to that Switchback.

Back