free website stats program Tour Glide | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tour Glide

Interesting info, thanks for posting that Bill.

Hard to believe it can push a disabled vehicle off the road too.
Didja ever notice that rubber bumper on the front fender of the FLT's? I wouldn't try it with the newer bikes but the early HD Front fenders were massive and the bar work and rubber bumper were funtional. The Harley had enough torque and a big enough multi disc wet clutch to get a car moving as long as it could still roll. My Uncle actually push started my mom's car with his Harley when I was a little kid, needless to say, I thought my Uncle was the Coolest guy in the world cuz he had a Big ol blue Harley with a white seat, saddle bags, hand grips and a fairing.

I drive a 94 Tour Glide and absolutely LOVE IT!. Tons and Tons of Chrome. I had some guy ask me if it was new at a gas station last week. I was not a big fan of the dual headlights but really like it now.

I love my tour glide, my only complaint is the box dash. The new bikes have all the instruments in the front fairing. My question, can this be updated on the older models. Do they make a kit or anything.

MSUSherm, I think "hot bike baggers" mag ran a article on that swap. I'll try to find it in my mags and post it here. have one of our church members that has a '89 and he loves it. I second what LIRider said about less weight when turning with a frame mounted fairing as opposed to a fork mounted one. And the FLT frame was the frame used as a example to construct the FXR frame for '82. I think the FLT was first sold in '80 because it took the MOCO some time to design the FXR after the buyback from AMF. That frame ended up approx. 5 times stiffer/stronger than the previous super glide frame it basically replaced. Some think it has a face only a "momma" could love although I'm not saying I agree.

Hey guys, that '80 tour glide (bottom of list) is only 35 miles from me if anyone wants a "scam buster" checkout.

The Tour Glide or FLT was introduced in 1982 and featured a new frame, rubber motor mounts and an "Integral Fairing". It was acually a predicessor to the FLHT everyone knows and loves, though the FLH was built before the FLT, the batwing fairing was put on the new FLT frame later. Most people believe the FLT was one of the AMF bikes introduced to fend off Japan's invasion, course AMF had little or no quality control. People also suspect the FLT was designed with American State and local Police departments in mind although Harley never owned up to it. It was a fact in the earliey 80's the Harley was the only motorcycle on the road capabile of towing or pushing a disabled vehical off the road.

Also a 5 speed transmission. It was Harleys evolution step from the FLH to todays EVOs and TC. Not alot of difference in a 1980 TourGlide shovelhead and a 1998 RoadGlide EVO.

Back