free website stats program Tour Glide Rear Brake Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Tour Glide Rear Brake Problem

Bud White

Retired Moderators
Posting this for a buddy at work

91 Tour glide just change the belt and pulleys Rode it over to where he did the work said rear brakes were fine.. Got the belt and pulley changed now the brakes lock up is you hit them hard and wont release..

Told him to try rebuilding master cylinder did that and rebuilt rear caliper .. brake pins are good and caliper is loose to move as it should .. slowly applying brakes fine but hit them hard they lock and wont unlock still..

Any other Ideals i can give him .. Brake line isnt twisted but could it be collapsing ?

I havn't had a chance to look at it yet

I would have to say a problem with the caliper piston cocking. If you open the bleeder will it release indicating a problem elsewhere? Possibly a collapsed internal brake line? See where you can open the brake circuit to that caliper and at what connection it would release and backtrack from there to locate the problem.

I was just going to say that very thing, make sure he used no petrol or mineral oil based cleaning products, as they will swell and contaminate rubber/neoprene parts. Use only fresh and proper type brake fluid (yes, in HD manual it says alcohol is okay, but I choose not to, but that is just me). Make sure the old parts piston and bores were very clean with no wear as the clearances are in the 1/10,000 range, fluid lubricates piston but does not squeeze past the seals, so "cocking" in the bores would mean very significant wear or corrosion occured.

yes i told him to make sure before he rebuilt the master cylinder .... today seems that the calpier was compressed to put back together with clamp right on piston i told him to pull it apart and check that the piston isnt damaged.. it was a friend of my friend that was doing the brake back together as he was finishing up some other stuff on it:newsmile058:

Back