free website stats program Tough Decision - Leave Stock or Stage 2? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Tough Decision - Leave Stock or Stage 2?

Another option for your gearhead urges is to get a used bike like a repo or an insurance bike and use that as your project. This will consume your time and get keep your focus and fingers off your current bike.

TQ

After pondering the suggestions on this forum, I think there is much to be said for the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", so I have decided to leave things alone for now.

Sounds like the sensible thing to do is to wait until I run into problems or put so many miles on the engine that she is noticeably tired, then I can pull out all the stops and build her up to my hearts content.

Lotsa good advice on here and and as always, much appreciated.

Well written post, I too, have the need for my power so I feel your struggle my Northern brother. Enough of that,

I like the whole drink more beer in the garage part.. I'm all in!!

Having a tough time making a decision on this one.

My 08 Electraglide Classic engine is the stock 96" with exception of Stage 1 air cleaner kit, screamin eagle fatshotz, Stage 1 ecm download and oil cooler.

Runs perfect, hasn't missed a beat or had a single mechanical issue in 36,000 kilometers.

Reasons for going with Stage 2 (103" with SE255 cams)

-Was a professional mechanic for many years, am still a gear-head and of course have an overwhelming need to make everything I own go faster...

-Motorcycle runs great but is a bit sluggish when riding two-up, loaded with gear and running at 70 plus miles an hour (mandatory to stay with traffic whenever travelling south of the border). More power would be welcome.

-Only thing on the planet that sounds better than a nicely tuned Harley with a decent set of cams is perhaps maybe a Pratt-Whitney R-2800 radial engine (of Corsair fame).

-Prices are really reasonable (especially with Canuck dollar at par). Looking at $1250 for Stage 2 kit and SE Super Tuner from American supplier on-line.

-Can do all labour myself and this would give me one more reason to hang out in garage drinking beer.:D

Reasons for not going with Stage 2 (103" with SE255 cams)

-Runs perfect, hasn't missed a beat or had a single mechanical issue in 36,000 kilometers.

-Don't absolutely need more power. Current configuration has plenty of power for 90% of riding situations.

-Potentially more stress on rest of powertrain and possible reduction in long term reliability.

-Is a shame to crack open perfectly reliable solid engine that runs quiet and has never had so much as an oil weep anywhere.

-Upgrade could run as much as $2000 by the time I'm done as would probably have heads machined for compression releases and need to pay for some dyno time once assembled.

-If I decide to sell or trade motorcylce in two years from now, unlikely that I will see any return for extra $ spent on mods. In fact bone stock bikes are usually worth more down the road...

-Can always find another reason to hang out in garage drinking beer.:D

What are your thoughts?

Soooo, just looking for advice or suggestions from others who have gone down this same road and wondering if anyone has had any issues or regrets after doing these mods?

The Canucks always forge ahead!!
I had a solid running 95" at the end of this season and my "what if" gearhead side got the best of me.... Can't say how stoked I am to hear this 103" pig light off and I had a crank to deal with...:D

Dirk

DSC02760.jpg

I'm in agreement with the 'if it isn't broke' category, HOWEVER, how about just putting the Pratt-Whitney R-2800 radial engine (of Corsair fame) in and THEN see how she sounds?

You would then have the coolest bike on the planet! :D One of the coolest acts I ever saw at an air show was Jim Franklin's jet powered Waco. The classic radial engine sound coming in, jet power going out. :D

YouTube - Jimmy Franklin Jet Waco

Re joyflyin,

Thanks for the great video, pretty amazing machine. It would take a fair bit of courage to strap a jet engine onto a bi-plane and then fly it. Me thinks that took a bit of very fancy engineering. Very cool.

As for an update on my quest for more performance, I pulled the trigger today on a Screamin Eagle Pro Super Tuner kit.

I figured I can play with it and learn how to use it (and maybe even squeeze a little more performance out of my engine) for now before doing any major mechanical upgrades.

Of course when the time does come for some upgrades, I will be able to adjust the fuel injection accordingly to compensate.

I already have the stage 1 download installed from the dealer but based on what I have read, that is still a bit on the lean side so it will be interesting to see if I am able to improve on that a bit.

Should have the kit within a few weeks depending on how long shipping takes via priority mail.

On my 09 FLHR, I went stage one and TFI,,,,, Then added the SE255's and What a POSITIVE power boost... :D Glad to do it Piece-meal....

I plan a 103" when I wear out the upper end a little Then I can JUSTIFY the 103" build.
Along with a Street Port from DEWEY'S HEADS Here in Wa. about 40 minutes away.. Does Excelent work I hear tell.

The cams you were adding to YOUR mix in the Kit were the SE 255's... and Work great for the added torque at Low End (2200/3800) is where they work best.
You can add them Now as TQ1 mentioned and LIKE ME, NOT in any hurry for the bigger 103 cu inches Yet...

This is Less e$$pensive and accomplishes the same thing Exceipt in stages that You might feel to be enough and STOP at the CAM change.(for now)

signed....BUBBIE

Back