free website stats program touchy back brakes | Harley Davidson Forums

touchy back brakes

Painter61

I have bled my back brakes and still have a problem with some times they grab good and no play on the foot brake and some time I have a lot of play and have push down towards the bottom of the pedal:bigsmiley30:

You might take a look at inspecting and possibly servicing the rear brake caliper, cleaning the external parts initially with clear water on a large towel (brake dust is hazardous, may contain metallic/asbestos bits). Then use pipe cleaner to clean around the exposed pistons as best you can, remove the pads and spray non-chlorinated Brakleen to wash the rest off (don't contaminate the pads if you plan to reuse them)...lightly sandpaper the linings and reassemble (pushing the pistons back into the bores). The key is keep everything clean, wash hands and area often.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/brakes_tires_and_wheels/9868-replacing_rear_brake_pads_softail.html

You might take a look at inspecting and possibly servicing the rear brake caliper, cleaning the external parts initially with clear water on a large towel (brake dust is hazardous, may contain metallic/asbestos bits). Then use pipe cleaner to clean around the exposed pistons as best you can, remove the pads and spray non-chlorinated Brakleen to wash the rest off (don't contaminate the pads if you plan to reuse them)...lightly sandpaper the linings and reassemble (pushing the pistons back into the bores). The key is keep everything clean, wash hands and area often.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/brakes_tires_and_wheels/9868-replacing_rear_brake_pads_softail.html

I thought Asbestos brake pads were banned from the market since a while now. Does this still hold true for newer bikes? (OP has a `06 Sportster)

I thought Asbestos brake pads were banned from the market since a while now. Does this still hold true for newer bikes? (OP has a `06 Sportster)

Not banned (in US) but phased out by auto Manufacturers. Ford used asbestos brake pads as recently as 2003 on some models. The OP may have aftermarket pads. It is still popular in aftermarket suppliers for brakes and clutch plates
(car). It is usually marketed as "organic" not asbestos. It may be banned in other countries.

Last edited:
If i had the op problem of the brakes grabbing or needing a lot of pressure whilst using them i would strip the brake system from the bike an refurbish it a rebuild kit for the master cylinder and a good clean of the caliper i personally prefer to pop the pistons out of brake calipers when stripping and cleaning

Brian

Pinch off the hose to the rear brakes what does the pedal feel like now? If it still is weak best bet is rebuild or replace the master cylinder, this is a good test as you are taking the caliper out of the loop and only moving the fluid as far as the brake hose, give it a try:s

I would def. check master cylinder for pressure, make sure your front brake is working as it should, also check rear wheel alinment. If your rear wheel is not adjusted correctly it will cause your brake to spot:bigsmiley30:

Not banned (in US) but phased out by auto Manufacturers. Ford used asbestos brake pads as recently as 2003 on some models. The OP may have aftermarket pads. It is still popular in aftermarket suppliers for brakes and clutch plates
(car). It is usually marketed as "organic" not asbestos. It may be banned in other countries.

Good to know! Thanks for the info.

hi there did you lube the pins that the brake pads ride on ??? i forgot to do that and had the same symptoms , took brakes apart lubed the pins and groove the pads ride in and brakes work great now . its a step lots of folks dont do and causes bad brake action

Back