free website stats program Touchup Paints | Harley Davidson Forums

Touchup Paints

atm33

Anyone know of a good alternative to HD OEM Vivid Black touchup paint? I need a drop or 2 to fix a tank scratch left by the previous owner and his aftermarket gas cap from hell. I made the mistake of trying "universal black" I had laying around, and should have known better (900 shades of black out there). I priced a small jar of the real stuff and had a heart attack. There has to be a touchup brand out there that is super close to HD Vivid Black, or perhaps it's sold in smaller doses?

I used general black from the Wal-Mart collection and it matches up fine.....
You will find it in the automotive section in the touch up paint rack....

Or any automotive paint store should carry a wide variety of touch up paints. It will surely be cheaper then Harley.

This may sound crazy, but try a sharpie followed by some rubbing compound:s

This may sound crazy, but try a sharpie followed by some rubbing compound:s

What sounds crazy is the HD price for touchup paint. I may just try it. It's not a big scratch, but is right by the fill hole and noticeable enough (if even just to me...). I wonder if a little clear coat over the sharpie would keep it there or just dissolve the marker. Oh well, we'll give it a go.

Something else that comes to mind is nail polish. I used it on a small door ding on a car and it worked rather well.

Ended up using wet sandpaper, then combo of sharpie and rubbing compound. Doesn't look half bad. I didn't properly fill the scratch so there is a bit of a dent, but other than that hardly noticeable. Love rubbing compound. Thanks for the ideas.

Back