free website stats program Totally off topic Diesel!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Totally off topic Diesel!!!

tubguy

I noticed there are alot of knowledgeable people that I`m hoping will have some answeres. I have a 95 ford e350 with the 7.3 powerstroke diesel and when i start it up and tak off it smokes like a pig for about the first 45 seconds then it cleans out and have no problems with it smoking. At the end of the day start up and head home no problem , it`s only after its been sitting over night.I had the computer changed but was wondering if it could possibly be the turbo.... I know this is the Harley Forum but who better to ask.

Thanks Tubguy:(

Although i have no knowledge of your particular engine if the turbo bearings were going there would be more smoke as the oil to lube the turbo bearing would pass into the exhaust
most diesel engines use extra fuel during the warm up period and cut it back as the temp goes up or you hit a particular revs

Brian

Smoking Black? This would be fuel related. Black smoke is unburned fuel. Glow plugs working? Does it start good or do you have to crank a little more than normal?
I work on the the GM diesels. I'll try to help.

Maybe a injector is leaking down. Check oil and see if diesel fuel is in oil. Might try some oil additive to clean injectors up 1st.

If you take the fuel filter out of it's casing you will notice a round plate at the bottom with 2 wires connected to it (it will be submersed in diesel fuel). This is a fuel heater and if it is not working it will smoke at start up. Also infront of the fuel filter (which is located in the centre of the engine under that fancy powerstroke cover) is a solenoid. This solenoid is for your glow plugs and should stay on for up to 2 minutes when you turn the key on (your wait to start light is controlled by this solenoid). If this is not working your glow plugs are not working and it will be hard to start and smoke like mad. I don't know if you have ever noticed that when you start your truck the volt meter will discharge down to 10v or less for a couple of minutes and then will show a normal 13 v after the solenoid cuts out.
2 Possibilities for your problem and can be checked with a test light, hope it's this easy fix!!

Usually when a turbo on a diesel goes you can walk on the smoke and power would be down, could be bad valve seals or a leaking injector, pull the stick do you smell a lot of fuel?

This is what I LOVE about this forum! We all like riding motorcycles, but we all have other problems too and everyone is always willing to help each other out regardless.

Thanks to all our great members for making this the best forum in the world. :s

Joy you beat me to it. I'm sitting here reading this thread thinking how easy it is to get help on this forum. Where else can you find people so eager to help?

Where else can you find people so eager to help?

Don, I was thinking the same thing. If I owned a diesel engine and it broke down, I would have to pop the hood up and put on a blond wig because I know absolutely Zero about diesels.

Have no fear Tubguy, these guys will get you rolling.:)

Back