free website stats program Totally Frustrated | Harley Davidson Forums

Totally Frustrated

tlabrc

I have a 98 fxstc.It has not run for about 3 yearsand now Im gonna get it going again.I went and replaced plugs,wires, and rebuilt the carb.Put fresh gas in tanks after completely draining all the old stuff.Everything is nice and clean.Now when i start it it wont idle and when I just try to hold the throttle part way it starts backfiring and running real rich.When I look into the caeb I see fuel being siphoned from the needle.I checked the float level and it is fine,the vaccum piston is operating fine too.I dont know what else to check.

Did you remove the idle screw? If you did have you replaced the "O" ring on the end? Also check the main jet holder for proper installation too.

The carb is most likely gummed up from old gas....
you will need to disassemble it and remove the main, slow speed jets and clean them ......
Gasoline turns very nasty over extended periods of time.
a1scoot:s

Thanks for all the help.Ifinally figured it out.Icompletely stripped the carb and found that the main air jet was plugged.Put carb back together and all is well!!Its quite amazing how such a small hole could cause a problem such as this. Thanks again guys.

Glad you got it sorted. The classic giveaway if bad gas has been in the tank for a long time, smell the fuel cap and then the tank...if it smells like varnish, everything in the fuel system is probably gummed up as bad gas congeals into a gel along with water, rust and particulates which settles into the lowest parts, especially...as you found out the main jet which sits near the bottom of the float bowl. Glider's recommendation that you drain the bowl and inspect for sediment and fuel condition is a very good tip for routine maintenance.

Back