free website stats program Torx ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Torx ?

jock.p

Can somebody tell me what size Torx driver I need to remove the pinch bolts in the triple trees on a 1996 xl1200c ? The set I have goes from 40 to 45 and the bolts in the trees seem to be somewhere in between.

My Torx set is similar, so my first thought would be to check on Internet for Torx size you think, like 42mm or the dreaded SAE equivalent might be in the mix...

Quite possible the bolt is a torx plus which is not the same as a standard torx.The sizes run exactly the same, T35,T40,T45,T47 etc.Because the outer edges on a torx plus are squared off, a standard torx bit in thesame size will fit but will feel sloppy.
Look at the outer points on the bolt closely,if they're squared off you need a torx plus socket.
TORX PLUS Drive System - Comparison - Camcar Screws from Acument Global Technologies

Geez, thanks for THAT. Another type fastener. I don't mind buying tools, in fact I LIKE buying tools. I DON'T like trying to fiqure out which one to use properly.:newsmile08: Kind of like my pool deck and house deck. I have every type of screw head known (previous owner). Replacing deck screws is fun.:newsmile055:

A tip on getting those torx loose, they can be a bear if they have not been touched in a few years and the scratch factor is very high when they do give. I use a snap-on 3/8 hand inpact driver, not a craftsman, throw the sears one in the trash or use it for a fishing weight, put the extra bucks out for the snap-on one, it works ten times better. The 3/8 hand inpact driver is also good for hard to break loose screws on the durby cover, a torx bit will scratch chrome by just being in the same room, put the torx bit on the driver, give it one tap with a mallet no muss, no fuss, and most important no scratches, it's loose.

A tip on getting those torx loose, they can be a bear if they have not been touched in a few years and the scratch factor is very high when they do give. I use a snap-on 3/8 hand inpact driver, a torx bit will scratch chrome by just being in the same room, put the torx bit on the driver, give it one tap with a mallet no muss, no fuss, and most important no scratches, it's loose.

I like! I like!... keep those tips coming in Chopper!

I like! I like!... keep those tips coming in Chopper!

A little known trick is a dab of anti sieze on the end of the torx bit before u hit it with the impact driver it acts like a bearing, been using this method for years on rusted torx bolts on cars and it works, Jack

1+ for manual impact wrench...I like the extra diameter of the handle with knurled grip. If it feels "frozen" then I will give it a shot of impact. And yes Jack's tip means you clean the fastener good first and make sure your bit is flat (if not grind it flat and square slowly to avoid affecting the hardenss) so it seats all the way into the fastener head for more contact area. And as Chopper says, if it has been awhile since the fastener has been "nudged" if all of that does not work, heat may be necessary, so make sure everything in the area is clear so if needed no damage will occur (be prepared for new replacement fasteners at this point though).

Last edited:
Back