free website stats program Torquing spark plugs | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Torquing spark plugs

Quick question, I have often (and I'd expect many others have also) pulled spark plugs to look at the color/fouling/gap etc. and reinstall them. Am I always supposed to be changing out the washer for new ones each time I remove the plug? I know, in my lawnmower, I remove the plug to pour in fresh gas when needed - and dont ever change out the washer. Just asking.

Thanks
Bill

yep, the washer makes the final torque seal and should not be reused, Jack

yep, the washer makes the final torque seal and should not be reused, Jack
Thanks Jack, I have never replaced the 'crush' washer every time I remove a spark plug just to 'check' it - always just screwed it right back in. Only way I get a new washer is with a new spark plug. I may need to reconsider my methods now. I just called 3 auto parts stores (2 Napa) here and none of them carry 'crush' washers for spark plugs. Where do ya'll get them?

Bill

Gents: In all my years (too many), I have never had or seen the need to replace the crush washer when the spark plug was removed. It will seal many times removed just fine. YMMV.

Thorns

Thanks Jack, I have never replaced the 'crush' washer every time I remove a spark plug just to 'check' it - always just screwed it right back in. Only way I get a new washer is with a new spark plug. I may need to reconsider my methods now. I just called 3 auto parts stores (2 Napa) here and none of them carry 'crush' washers for spark plugs. Where do ya'll get them?

Bill

Bill, ask them for indexing gaskets, if they still dont understand try a speed shop, Jack

Gents: In all my years (too many), I have never had or seen the need to replace the crush washer when the spark plug was removed. It will seal many times removed just fine. YMMV.

Thorns

The crush gasket is a torque prevailing gasket and yes we have all done this, it still is not the proper way to install the plugs. The proper torque is critical in heat transfer as well as sealing compression, just my way of doing things right the first time, Jack

The crush gasket is a torque prevailing gasket and yes we have all done this, it still is not the proper way to install the plugs. The proper torque is critical in heat transfer as well as sealing compression, just my way of doing things right the first time, Jack
Jack - I appreciate all the information you and all others give out here. I am safisfied, and hopefully lay this one to rest - was really only just asking the question.

Bill

Jack - I appreciate all the information you and all others give out here. I am safisfied, and hopefully lay this one to rest - was really only just asking the question.

Bill

Thats how we learn Bill, lots of opinions on all the subjects, then its up to you to make an informed decision, Jack

What is the proper way to apply antiseize onto the plug threads? Do you lay a thin strip down one side of the thread before installing - do you need to work it in to coat all the threads before installing - around the base of the plug as one poster commented...what exactly is the correct way? - thanks

What is the proper way to apply antiseize onto the plug threads? Do you lay a thin strip down one side of the thread before installing - do you need to work it in to coat all the threads before installing - around the base of the plug as one poster commented...what exactly is the correct way? - thanks

It's sufficient to put a bead of anti seize around the base thread and it will spread out as you thread it in. You really don't want to "overdo" it here.

Back